Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mice Eating Sheds? >

Mice Eating Sheds?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mice Eating Sheds?

Old 02-27-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Mice Eating Sheds?

First off, thanks to everyone that has replied to my question about scouting this time of year. One thing I kept coming to in those replies, besides, " Heck yeah, this is the best time to scout" , was that of shed hunting.

I have question about that. I have heard that mice like to eat the sheds, and I assume maybe some other critters do too, but how fast do they do so?

I have had an old timer tell me that if I don' t get to the sheds within a few weeks of the them hitting the ground, that they would be gone- ate by the mice. Can they, and will they, eat them that fast? That seems awfully fast to me. But he said, " Think about it son (he calls everyone son), if the mice didn' t eat them up, we' d be tripping over them all the time." Sounds fishy to me and there is an awful lot of woods out there for the antlers to lay. Heck, he might as well said that we could walk from one county to the other on the backs of bucks, they' re so thick. In fact, maybe he has said that but it was after I fell asleep from listening to his other stories...
Old 02-27-2003, 01:57 PM

Default RE: Mice Eating Sheds?

I wouldn' t say exactly how fast they disappear but it doesn' t take long. Porcupines will gobble them up also and other critters I' m sure.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:59 PM

Oops, I just saw that someone else has posted this same question. Sorry. But it does look like the old timer knew what he was talking about. I' ll go out this weekend looking. Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Listen to the oldtimers, they know more than you think.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:07 PM

I found an old shed down by the creek. Something was gnawing on it. Looked like a rat or squirrel, by the size of the gnaw marks.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:41 PM

Porcupines really eat them horns up fast, gotta get to them before they do if you want a good lookin shed.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 PM

Yes, i think mice eat sheds..We have found numerous sheds with holes chewed through them, and some of the points nawed off..
Old 02-27-2003, 08:45 PM

Yes, all kinds of critters eat at sheds. I had a nice little 8 point rack mounted on the front of my hunting cabin. I have seen squirrels and mice gnaw on it and even birds peck at it. It took about 2 years to eat it down to the skull. Probably would have gone faster if it was on the ground.
I had an old-timer tell me " they eat-em for them minerals in em."
Old 02-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of the antlers that I have found espercially near a water source get chewed up pretty fast and I think the muskrats and beavers do the lions share of the damage to the ones near water.
Yes the rabbitts, squirrels, porkupines, possums etc can eat away at them pretty severely, antlers are a great source of calcium and minerals for the animals especially in the winter when times are lean.
I found ones that have been chewed all the way through the main beams, this matched set would have been a nice 8 point shed set if not for the chew marks now they are antler buttons and assorted antler use products.
Hope you find a good one.