Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

MICE???

Old 03-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Default MICE???

I have heard that largemouth bass like mice! If this is true which is better live, dead, or a lure? I am fishing at a lake that has MANY mice and is stocked with bass. If mice work, how do I fish them?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MICE???

wont hurt to try .....i have a lure but have never used it
Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 PM

hey man i got your info i never heard of people using live or dead ones but you get the lures with black ears and dots on them and you throw them over lilly pads and jump them from pad to pad but stop for awile once on a pad and once in a while swim it between the pads and hurley get it on the pad and the strikes will be explosive well please tell me what happens i would realy like to know
Old 03-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

We cal them rat or ratso lures and they come in lots of colors. I fish them like frogs and use the technique like you describe. The strikes are explosive but for some reason I do better with the froggy lures. Probably because frogs are more abundant here and most of the lures are copied after the leopard frog which is our main frog and all bass love them live, dead or fake. I hook them through the lips and throw them in the weeds and float them along letting them kick and the strikes are sure to follow. There are actually people who buy them and lots of kids go out froggin and catch them in late July and August when the small ones are out and about. Once in a while I go and catch a bunch but the fake ones actually work real well. Another great bait especially for smallies is dobson aka helgrammites. They are easy to catch in spring on fast moving rivers in the riffles. Just hold a screen downstream and have someone turn over rocks and they float in the current right into the screen. Watch out for the pinchers. Hook them through the section lines.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

My favorite lure is a weedless white mouse with green speckles on it! Skipping it over the lilly pads or skimming the tops of heavy weeds and BANG! Love that lure! Never tried live mice....
Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mice lures for me work best when it is the HOTTEST out and ya work them near shore, i have really pounded them!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We call them rattlin rats. Although I haven't caught a bass on one, my buddy did. Explosive is a good discribtion. Oh forgot the color was black.