Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 antler restrictions, Your Fellings. >

antler restrictions, Your Fellings.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

antler restrictions, Your Fellings.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:55 AM

Default antler restrictions, Your Fellings.

Last year was the first year for antler restrictions in the state of Pa. For most the restriction was 6 points to a side and for the rest of us it was 8 points to a side. Are large racks THE most important aspect of deer hunting?
Old 02-22-2003, 09:58 AM

Default RE: antler restrictions, Your Fellings.

I need to amend the thread. For most it was 3 points to a side and for the rest of us it was four points to a side. Sorry.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:13 AM

Being a PA resident I feel that Alt made a great decision by making an antler restriction. Not only will it strengthen our deer herd but create healthier and larger bucks.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:39 AM

No large racks are not the only thing important, they are important though

GA has a 2 buck limit and now one of the 2 must have 4pts on one side or more. Many counties in GA also have antler restrictions above and beyond that regulation as part of the overall management of the GA herd.

For many years before the regs were in place, we (on lands I hunt) have limited ourselves on the size of bucks taken. Remember that this not only helps protect the younger bucks, but it causes more people to take does instead of young bucks, which in turn helps produce a healthier, more balanced herd.

Good move for PA.

Jim
Old 02-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well put huntingga!
This would seem to help take more Does! Me, I would want a bigger racked buck to shoot anyway! If I was hunting for meat I think I' d rather shoot a Doe! I feel most on here police themselves anyway![:-] If memory serves me correct while growing up in Michigan there was a Limit, above the ears or like 4" , don' t quote me though, that was a LONG time ago!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:56 AM

I' m also from PA and also think the antler restriction was a good thing and also combining both buck and doe season,more hunters are takeing more doe and makeing for a more balanced buck to doe ratio and letting the bucks to grow bigger for next season.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

How long are the restrictions supposed to last? That would make a difference in how I felt about it in my region.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input! The antler restrictions are to be a way of life until further notice but I don' t see them ever going back. It is extremely difficult to count points, I passed on 3 bucks inside bow range because I couldn' t tell if they were legal or not and passed on a 3x2 and a 2x2.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:07 PM

You guys from PA are pretty lucky...Michigan has the same restrictions as Georgia and it really makes no difference. In the norhter tip of the mit where I hunt you don' t see deer get big enough for the restriction to have any effect. Just think though PA residents, the season after next you will be seeing the rather large effects of the antler restriction.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

If they planned to keep with and it WERE ' the way it' s done' where I was out, I' d be for it. But if they were just instituting it here and there for a year or 2 I' d think of it as just an inconvenience.

Quick Reply: antler restrictions, Your Fellings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.