Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First cut on my hunting land... >

First cut on my hunting land...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First cut on my hunting land...

Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First cut on my hunting land...

Well, since last year, a serious hay cutter come on to the land i hunt, fertilize/lime, lots of chicken poop, planted various hay forages.... basically dropped a lot of money in it.

We dont exactly see eye to eye, he's basically kicked me off the land with any type of vehicle during the hay season.... UNDERSTANDABLE. But he also make these little snyde(sp) remarks about things, that just rub me wrong..... that land is special to me, I grew up on it. Not mine, but have always been there and always had permission to hunt, If I ever lost this land, I would most likely literally cry... So i try to tread lightly, as i figure he has more authority than i do, even though ive been there longer technically, but he's probably paying the owner for the hay, Unfortunatley, I really dont know.... But The land owner still allows me to hunt and everything as of now, So i cant really complain.

So I see he has made his first cut, the grass is brown and dead now, and it just so happens, when i drive by on my way home from work, something catches my eye, so i swing in drive down into the fields and check it out, I really just wanted to see the fields also, anyway, ended up just being a big house cat, but on my way out, their he sits... Im like well, crap. So i put on my friendly face and get out and go up and talk to him, told him the place looked good, i just wanted to come ride thru and check it out, he's says, Oh ok. We talk a little bit, and i ask him, if he'd been seeing many deer, he said yeh, jumped a few and mowed a few, along with a couple turkey nests.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

How preventable is this? I dont know much about hay cutting, I know it happens, but his attitude about just bugs me, Maybe because Im just jealous/ or feel invaded on what was onced untouched by any body but me and your average Joe hay chopper. I surely dont think he would do it on purpose.... would he? I dont know.... Buckmasters rant of the day.....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First cut on my hunting land...

If he knows he ran over these animals than he saw them. My guess is he didn't prevent it.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know around here it happens all the time while bailing I hear farmers talk about bailing deer. It happens they got a job to do and they don't see them till it's to late. 99% of the time it's a fawn bedded that will not move!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I know around here it happens all the time while bailing I hear farmers talk about bailing deer. It happens they got a job to do and they don't see them till it's to late. 99% of the time it's a fawn bedded that will not move!
Yes i suppose, he does this for a living and acted like it no big deal at all.... I guess that's why, Ive heard it happening too, I just hate to here it.... I dont have extremely heavy population of deer on my land, and love to see it grow some more, to up my chances of harvest every year.

But it is what it is, and if it couldnt be prevented, I understand that also.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 PM

my brother runs a cattle farm near you over in Pulaski and he hits a few every year, fawns, trust me, they ain't doing it on purpose, it's areal pain in the ass when it happens. Sorry you have to deal with that, I know exactly what you are going through.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

If he knows he ran over these animals than he saw them. My guess is he didn't prevent it.
Have to disagree with you on this one. We just cut, tehtered and put up hay on the farm I work on and many times its so thick you can't even see your feet. IT's just part of the job.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what most of these guys have said, I really doubt the guy has done it on purpose nor really has any control over it. Fawns will stick tight until the very end and by time they decide to run, it is too late. I've done hay with my uncle for a couple of years and let me tell you, that stuff is thick...nearly impossible to see a nest (which a hen will generally try to hide).

Don't get me wrong, its sad that fawns get killed this way, but there really isn't a whole lot that can be done to prevent it. As for the farmers attitude, somebody else hit it exactly, this is his lifestyle and its going to happen (its probably happened enough for him that is doesn't bother him as much anymore), therefore the 'gruff' reaction you experienced.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:12 PM

I've worked for the same farmer for 5 years, and I love the fact that I get work the ground on some of the same places I hunt. Ive been cutting wheat the past 2 weeks and just a couple days ago my boss whopped a turkey on the head with the reel of his header. He wasn't slowing down. Farmers haveajob to do, and that is all that is on their mind. Even ifthis guyisabig hunter, Ill bet wildlife comes second to getting the crops out of the field. Thats just a part of the business, really. Ive noticed tons of spots in the wheat where deer and other animals have been bedding down in it. We mowed right over them.

Honestly, If he saw a fawn in the hay, he could probably stop for it. But usually I doubt he notices it, andI doubt he wants to eat one up.Turkey nest? I doubt a farmer can justify leaving part of his crop standing in the fieldfor a bird nest. JMO.

I dont want to sound like Im against you, cuz I can definatly see where your coming from. I often think just how much better the hunting could be on some of my places just from very little effort from the farmers, but thats not what they are thinking about and its something we have to deal with. Just trying to throw in the farmers perspective.

Good luck with this guy. I hope yall can figure something so its works for both of you.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I got a couple questions for you guys that cut hay. I do not, so I'm just asking.

First question, everyone know right around the first of June is when most fawns drop (at least around here). Unfortunately every farmer seems to cut hay during the first week of June when the fawns are not old enough to escape. What would it hurt or matter if a farmer waited until the third week of June to cut? Or cut the last week of May?

Second, if a farmer just has to cut the first of June, then why the heck can't they use a flush bar if they are so conserned over killing fawns and turkeys?

I'm not trying to stir the crap pot, but I seriously want to know why farmers act like they care about running over critters when a few preventative steps can be taken?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbilly archer

I got a couple questions for you guys that cut hay. I do not, so I'm just asking.

First question, everyone know right around the first of June is when most fawns drop (at least around here). Unfortunately every farmer seems to cut hay during the first week of June when the fawns are not old enough to escape. What would it hurt or matter if a farmer waited until the third week of June to cut? Or cut the last week of May?

Second, if a farmer just has to cut the first of June, then why the heck can't they use a flush bar if they are so conserned over killing fawns and turkeys?

I'm not trying to stir the crap pot, but I seriously want to know why farmers act like they care about running over critters when a few preventative steps can be taken?
Cut it early, It may not be ready.

Cut it late, you may not have enough time for it to grow to make another cut.

Quick Reply: First cut on my hunting land...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.