Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk calling

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk calling

The sound of bugling bulls will cause the hair on the back of your neck to stand erect. It's magic!
You got that right!!! I don't think there is a better sound out there then a big bull doing the good old mad scream telling you I've had it and I'm coming to get your little ass!! It makes my hair stand up just thinking about it. Good luck to you out there.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned the basics and could do both bugles and cow calls with a diaphragm and a bugle tube. You can learn by watching videos and making the sounds they make, however you don't get two things doing this:

1) Why are they "saying" what they are saying
2) How often nothing answers [:-]

I was in Idaho last fall and told the outfitter if I sounded bad to be honest and tell me. I got bulls to start coming in with both cow and bugle calls. Once they were coming in he took over, soI must not have sounded to bad.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will sure knows more about it than I do, so if anything I say goes against what he tells you I would default to him...

I don't like calling unless it is a "last ditch effort". That is the way I am with all animals. If I can get ahead of them and not have to let them know that there is anything ahead, then that is ideal to me. If I do feel like I have to call, then I use a variety of cow calls hoping to sound like numerous cows at the same time. You can do it with a read and diaphram in the mouth and a hand call like the Hoochy Mamma.

My only caveat is that I have never called in a bull and gotten a shot at them. I have gotten them to within 10 yards, but never been able to release the arrow on them so what the heck do I know?

Best of luck and I am really rooting for you.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just wait 'til you squeeze your Hoochie Mama and get answered by other Hoochie Mamas from every point on the ompass. At first I was fired up thinking I was in the middle of a herd... I was in the middle of something alright. [8D]

Good luck. I was never fortunate enough to hear a bugle last year, but that's not stopping me from heading back out in a couple months. The scenery alone is breathtaking and will keep you coming back.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

This post reminds me I need to step up my practicing.
I can't wait.
For me the cow calls came easy from so much turkey calling with a diaphram. The bugling took a bit more practice and effort.
There are few things I've experienced as awe inspiring as a herd bull letting rip an intense bugle that echos thru the mountains.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Bails, you seem to be one step beyond......
I'm still setting up my new bow here and you're already doing bugle practice !!!
you lucky sod...........

good luck to you mate !

Frank
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

We seldom use a bugle tube, and we often cow call, well not so conservatively, and we get action. The buddy system works well for us, shooter between caller and elk, and go from there. We've also called "blind" and called in satelite bulls that never bugled.
We use open reed calls and diaphram, even a hoochie momma on rare occasions. As Huntingson mentioned, we use several cow calls on any one stand to create the sounds of several different cows, and that really seems to work for us.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

With pressured elk, bugle only for location, be very good with your cow calls, there are many different vocalizations elk use. I have learned all of my cow talk from elk themselves and have killed some nice bulls, a few hogsbecause of what the cow elk have taught me to say over the years while just watching them. I am by no means a world champ caller like some folks but it doesnt take a world champ to call in a bull. I am also pretty aggressive and will go right at abull playing the wind the entire time if he makes himself known. Herd bulls will rarely come too you unless you really know how to talk to him like some of these guys like ELKNUT on here.. Also with pressured elk, be patient, bulls here will come in completely silent a lot like a whitetail buck and often it takes them 30-40 minutes to come in..

Hands down the BEST mouth reeds I have used and use today are made by Rocky Jacobson.. they really make some sweet cow talk and bugle tones for tubes.. I always try to sound like a chump bull not a champ bull I get a lot of responses this way..
Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say that i am putting everything i can into this hunt , i've recently realised i work to live , not live to work and its given me a whole new outlook on life . I will plan a hunting trip every year from now on and nothing short dying will stop me , i've got the bug and i love it .

Back to the bugling , i practice at work a lot but without the tube .. but today for a change i tried the tube , just as one of the workshop fitters came down stairs . To say he was startled is an understatement , the guy nearly did a backflip and his eyes were like a bunny in your car headlights ... he nearly crapped himself . Made me think if my reaction to hearing the real thing might be a similar experience .
Seriously guys if i do get my bull and i'm preying i do , i will have his rack tattoo'd on my shoulder .

Again thanks for the feedback , you guys know your stuff and i take everything you say on board and i will put it all to practice .
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM

It's heartwarming to hear your dedication to the sport. The rewards can be a mountain top experience of your life. Best of luck to to you and Hucklebery. Roskoe

Quick Reply: Elk calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.