Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk calling

Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk calling

Has anybody on here tried calling Elk before , using reed , bugle and such .

I'm practicing for September , with the Primos Mastering the art , mouth calls made easy CD and a couple of Diaphrams and bugle . I think it will be more rewarding to call them in myself ( Hopefully ) .

The Bull bugle is the one i'd like to master , but i'm quite happy with my cow and calf calls . They are coming on quite well . i hope to put them to good use .
Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk calling

They say you can't make a bad bugle....though sure sounded like my guide could.....haha.

So really the bugle if it sounds good/ok I don't think you should worry.

The cow calling is what I hear is more important to master....though IMO isn't very tough to learn.

I think you'll guide will want to hear you prior to any calling....otherwise if you wait til youre in the woods he may then tell you to stop....

Could be fun to do some calling sure, and if you have it down have at it, though your guide will probably want to be behind you...50yds or so, so you can get a shot, in which cas you calling wont be what you want to do, but ready case things change....could happen.

Have at it though, sure is fun!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Bailsuk, where are you headed to in September?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm off to Colarado with iamyourhuckleberry , to spend a week in the Mountains bowhunting Elk . First ever bowhunt for me , in fact its my first proper game hunt .

I'll be using the Bugle to locate the bull and then cow and calf calls to bring them in ..... i hope .
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Man, that's awsome! I lived in CO for a while, and will also be there in Sept., probably near Montrose or the southern border.You're in for a real treat .Sounds like you're doing your homework. Best of luck to both of you!!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM

If you are hunting with Imyourhucklebeary, make sure you don't let him try to tell you that hunting wallows is a waste of time [8D]. Seriously, though, calling elk is a bit of an art but not all that difficult all at the same time. The philosophy of using the bugle to locate and the cow call to coax is pretty sound. I have hunted elk a long time, listened to a lot of elk calling in the wild,and killed 35 so far. Cow calling is something that you want to generally do pretty conservatively, and not too abruptly. I like to carry a regular collection of cow calls. It's amazing how a certain call can get an immediate response from a certain bull. Not sure what it is - maybe the bull's first "sweetie" sounded just like that. Although I haven't used one yet, I'm also planning to cart around a Montana Decoy cow decoy this fall just for fun. Might help give a bull something visual to key in on. Good luck. Roskoe.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol...Roskoe,

ya I know, they've got to drink and get stinky sometime...Or perhaps it's an elk's version of a "cold shower".

Dave, I have a funny feeling Gary and I will show you the fine art of sneaking in and killing them in their beds.

I generally stay quite and let the love birds do all the talking. I employ laser lock on and go! I love it when they give their position away! It is an amazing time to be in the woods! The sound of bugling bulls will cause the hair on the back of your neck to stand erect. It's magic!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

Learn the cow calls and get them down first. When you hunt elk the cows drive the bulls crazy during the rut and if you can make your self a hot mama you have a much better chance than a strong bull. The bull calls are great if you are hunting a bull and need to close some distance for a shot but for me personally it is the cows that will give loactaion away.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

If you are hunting with Imyourhucklebeary, make sure you don't let him try to tell you that hunting wallows is a waste of time [8D]. Seriously, though, calling elk is a bit of an art but not all that difficult all at the same time. The philosophy of using the bugle to locate and the cow call to coax is pretty sound. I have hunted elk a long time, listened to a lot of elk calling in the wild,and killed 35 so far. Cow calling is something that you want to generally do pretty conservatively, and not too abruptly. I like to carry a regular collection of cow calls. It's amazing how a certain call can get an immediate response from a certain bull. Not sure what it is - maybe the bull's first "sweetie" sounded just like that. Although I haven't used one yet, I'm also planning to cart around a Montana Decoy cow decoy this fall just for fun. Might help give a bull something visual to key in on. Good luck. Roskoe.
Roskoe makes a lot of good points. I've hunted for several years with my best friend, and I swear he has the art of calling and hunting elk mastered. It is a thing of beauty to watch him. You do have to make bugles and cow calls in moderation. My friend only bugles to locate the elk so we can close the distance if it appears the elk is not going to come any closer. Once you are closer, but not too close, then make a few cow calls to see if the bull will come to you. Have several different cow calls with youtoo. We have found that some calls that work great one year, don't work at all the next. So try a few. A lot of it depends on the bull you are going after as well (herd bull, satellite bull).We have found that lots of times the herd bull will justmove his group off (he already hashis cows and doesn't need anymore, or doesn't want to waste his time with a possible challenge). Satellite bulls might be more anxious tocome to the calls.If you find that the bull isn't coming to the calls and is moving off, then you have tomove as fast as you can to where youTHINK they are going and get ahead of them and cut them off (route depends a lot on the wind and terrain). At least this is what has worked best for us.Haven't had much luck just chasingfrom behind. Usually never catch up to them, or will end up right on top of them when you least expect it and scare them off without a chance for a shot. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys for all the positive response , i cannot wait to be out their and hear that bugle off a bull in the wild .

If i'm gonna learn anything , i think Will and Gary can definately teach me .

Thanks Roskoe and western for your wise words , the results of lessons learn't will be posted on here in picture or video form .

Speak soon Will

Quick Reply: Elk calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.