Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who has changed the way..... >

who has changed the way.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who has changed the way.....

Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: who has changed the way.....

Itmay sound crazy, but Mike Waddell. I like his style, his humbleness, and his ability to know when and where. I learned alot from his stalking, setting up stands, and all around personalaity it takes to be a successful hunter. I know...alot will disagree, but his style is one that impresses me and he just has a knack for the outdoors.

I know with the sponsorships he has, if ou took them all away he would still be my best hunting bus in the woods. After all, I learned to wear my scent wafers on my hat...and its worked!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

The more I see of this gaint planet, the less I understand. I am all ears. My mind is wide open. I strive to know more about tracking from the black african bushmen, for example. I have learned enough, but not enough...

I have learned that when you stop learning you stop living.
well said huck!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Davidmil influenced the way I hunt. A couple of years ago I posted a thread about a trail I cut through the woods and all the lumber I felled for shooting lanes. David explained to me why taking a low impact approach to lanes would benefit me. He explained that I was in the deers living room and they would notice thelarge changes I was making in thier territory. Now I cut as little as possible. An arrow doesn't need much of a space to fit through. Less cutting also means I have more cover. I've seen more deer traveling the trails I hunt since I've taken this approach.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another VERY important lesson I've learned here is what to do after the shot. Robs annual "What to do after the shot" thread helped me tremendously in tracking my first deer that didn't fall in sight. If it had not been for that information he so willingly shared here I don't think I'd have found that deer or several hogs I have shot. Most of what I know about blood trailing is due directly to that thread. Thanks again Rob!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading mags, a few select members on this site, but mostly time and maturity have shaped how I hunt now more than anything.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

How can you not?If I were not influenced by others and picking up informationit would seem like I have it all figured out, which I know I don't. So I am constantly trying to sponge up information from other successful hunters, the woods/deer, magazines/books, and just about anywhere else I can find it. Like Duke mentioned though you need to be able to determine what is useful or applicable to the areas you hunt and what isn't.

VAit seems hard to imagine thatnothing or noone has influenced changes in your hunting. On some level you were influenced somewhere along the lineotherwise you would still be hunting the same way you were 20 years ago (or whenever you started) except for self learned stuff,and I can't imagine that being the case(for myself anyway). You have never heardsomething or readsomething and thought "Man I am going to try that in that bottom I hunt or near that bean field", never?

I'm just asking, Idon't me to sound like a jerk or anything.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 AM

Good question NEW!! I have hunted the same farm for 20 yrs and I worked the farm as well, that has helped a lot. I have people that that taught me the basics, but once I learned the basics it was all me so far. Im not saying I know it all, I just know my woods and know them well. I don't recall anyone that has changed how I do it, I just learned on my own really. Not saying that I can't learn from others, but i just haven't had the opp yet. I have made changes, but it has only come through years of hunting not b/c someone pointed me in the direction. Im open to it all though!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Nearly everyone I have ever met.. or spoken with.. or read.

The trick is understanding what your hearing and seperating the good advice from the bad.
That's a great answer.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Good question NEW!! I have hunted the same farm for 20 yrs and I worked the farm as well, that has helped a lot. I have people that that taught me the basics, but once I learned the basics it was all me so far. Im not saying I know it all, I just know my woods and know them well. I don't recall anyone that has changed how I do it, I just learned on my own really. Not saying that I can't learn from others, but i just haven't had the opp yet. I have made changes, but it has only come through years of hunting not b/c someone pointed me in the direction. Im open to it all though!!
Having hunted the same farm for 20 years it makes sense that you would have that place pegged. If you want a pretty good morsel of knowledge read GregHs' post from today, good stuff there.

If you want to try something new don't forget about this bow season and the possible VA hunters bowhunt. I got a sweet piece of low pressured public land (roughly 3200 acres) that could be fun to learn. 4 points per side antler restrictions have been in place there for a few seasons and it doesn't see much pressure during the bow season. Lots of oaks and a river runs through it. I'm just saying.

Quick Reply: who has changed the way.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.