Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for West Virgina hunters >

question for West Virgina hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for West Virgina hunters

Old 02-25-2003, 09:43 AM

Default question for West Virgina hunters

There is a guy at work ( origanly from West Virgina) and he is one of those guys that has always been there and done that, Ya know what i mean?
well last night he was telling me how they hunt deer with dogs. He told a few good stories but it sounds fishy to me.
Could someone tell me if this is leagle and or common practice in West Virgina? From what i get out of it they train coon hounds and run deer and shoot them.
I cannot believe i am even asking this question.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2003, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: question for West Virgina hunters

Jimmya,

Jim Bell already stated that it is infact illegal to hunt deer with dogs in West Virginia.

In addition most people that run " coon hounds" or any hunting dogs, as a general rule take a great deal of pride in their dogs. That said I have heard many say that do hunt with hounds whether for bear, raccoon, rabbit, or squirrel.... if one of their dogs ever starts to run deer......lets just say end of that dogs story.

I mean no offence you with this remark but it would seem....this guy is either just blowing smoke, or has been involved with the illegal taking of deer in this state, Which is not hunting. My guess is he was not using a bow either. Just my .02
Old 02-26-2003, 11:33 AM

thanks for the replies. i did not believe him but i did not want to call him a bold face lier [:@]without seeking advice from the experts. he also went on to say they train them to run deer and make good money selling them. it just did not add up i have never seen or herd of treeing a deer. Hunting hounds around here that run deer [:' (]also seem to get lost in the woods.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Spike

JIMMYA I HOPE YOU DON' T THINK EVERYONE FROM THE WONDERFUL STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA IS REPRESENTED BY THAT KNUCKLEHEAD. I THINK THAT STATE PRODUCES SOME OUTSTANDING BOWHUNTERS. ESPECIALLY IN THE ARCHERY ONLY COUNTIES.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Dito what jethropew said. I' m from WV and have never heard of anything like that.

Cargo
Old 02-27-2003, 06:11 AM

Ive seen dogs run deer but they were just loose ones whose ignorant owners didnt have the sense to keeped tied up when they needed it.
But it is by no means legal to run deer with dogs, like the rest siad dont let this guy give you an impression of wv hunters.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:22 AM

i by no means feel any different about WV. this punk at work just runs his mouth and tryes to fit in by telling stories. as i mentioned before, i did not want to call him on his story with out asking/ finding out the realality of law in WV. The scary thing is that he supposably just bought a bow.[&o] he wont be hunting with me!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

He may have hunted with dogs in WVA, just not legally.

Chasing deer with hounds is a fairly common practice throughout the South.