Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Default RE: What does your average, adult whitetail wiegh in your area ?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

but in most cases people guess the weight rather then actually weigh the deer dressed out.
Gospel.

Here's a Canadian buck that dressed 272, killed by my brother.

One of my other brother with a buck that was nearly as big.

Another one of his....

One of mine....

Another brother's...

Here's the buck my wife killed last fall....and we never weighed it, but it was a brute as well....

I always get a kick out of the "estimated" weights guys throw out, when I know that none of these deer we have killed come close to those numbers.....and they are far from small bodied bucks.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine shot one in January several years ago that wighed 279 dressed, it was 7 1/2-8 1/2 year old. Two years ago I shot a 4 1/2 year old that dressed at 247 pre rut and had to put the dang thing in my truck by myself[X(] These were the dressed weights pre the processor we use and both were killed in Kane COunty in Bow only areas where there is light hunting pressure and a heavy doe ratio.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Whitetail! Deer was killed in Clarion County, Pa. , weighed 412 lbs. Supposedly
could be the heaviest whitetail ever taken???
Cabala's HERE WE COME

[/align]

Bukmastr

[/align]
Slob Slayer

[/align]
Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doe: 100-125 lbs

Buck: 110-150 lbs

(field dressed)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

This thread cracks me up witha coupleof the ridiculous numbers thrown out..... Anyhow....

In my area of NE Ohio most mature bucks will weigh between 180-200 pounds. Every now and then you will see one that cracks 210, but not often, in fact I only personally know of one.

Mature does usually fall into the 110-130 range.The heaviest doe I have personally sawwas 135.

These are dressed weights.

[/align]
Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area a mature whitetail weighs 175-200for the most part. I hope to maybe get one bigger than that some day. The aveage 2.5 year old weighs around 145-155 here.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theaverage mature buck where I hunt averages around 120 lbs after field dressing. Very few deer where I hunt are field dressed over 150 lbs, less than 1%. Alot of the 2.5 year old 6-8 pointers will weigh in around 100 lbs.

Brett
Old 05-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

200+

Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Those are huge numbers you threw out there Droptine. I live in Illinois where they are cornfed and rarely do I see the deer top out at the weights you mentioned. They must be injected with steroids over there in New Jersey or there is no one in the state that hunts deer.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you have to look at multiple things when discussing this topic. I hunt a lot in Kane County Illinois and most of the county is Bow only. We have a lot of Forrest Preserves, and light hunting pressure. We have heavy doe ratios and excellent food sources for deer. I sometimes get confused with the term "Cornfed Deer". Deer are not one tracked eaters and will often eat numerous different food sources in a short period of time.

I know the weight I posted might seem high but that was what we were told by the processor. Many areas of the country see a majority of the bucks killed at younger ages and bucks do in fact fill out and gain significant weight as they mature past 4.5 years of age. If you have an area with great food sources, light pressure, high doe ratios and older deer I believe you will see heavier bucks and does. I know I have seen a few monsters around my area over the years.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.