Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them?? >

Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Guys.. heres a question..
i dont want to goto jail so maybe you guys give me your opinions.
i got RACOONS up the wazoo here on LongIsland in my backyard every single BLEEPIN NIGHT.. knockin down garbage, ****tin everywhere.. i want to killem. now.. lets say i were to slowly and quietly open the window.. and im at full draw.. i release.. and the sucker goes runnin say... 50+ yards with an arrow through him.. you think my neighbors might find him lieing dead and call the cops on me or something? maybe .. i should do nothing? ive tied bricks, stones, cinderblocks, tied to a post.. these bastards figure everything out.. i want them DEAD.. not GONE. i want them to suffer the pain, for the pain ive given every morning pickin up this freakkin trash off the driveway.. please advise..
Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

I sincerely do not think a raccoon is goin to stop an arrow. In other words you don't have to worry about him running iwth an arrow. But they are tough. If you lived in the country, go ahead. But in long island, I wouldn't. Its soemthing here in MD, the baltimore sun loves to make stories about.

I would say trap em, but they can be smart suckers

Old 05-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

check local regulations or see if you can trap them and have them taken away . or snuff them out. but I would check the laws first to be on the safe side
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Racoons won't run or at least not usually. Just use a blunt point and aim for the head. Deader than a door nail. They're smart so they likely won't come back for a few days but they will be back. Also if you do the door technique they might run after they see you kill one. So you'll have to outsmart them after taking a couple out.

Good luck

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Racoons are the spawns of satan, kill them all.... get you some blunt tip and shootem....
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

you need one of these....

good luck with them city coon....about the best option is to live trap them and haul them to the woods elsewhere....my favorite bait for city coon is peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches...cheap peanut butter and jelly globbed on the bread thick n heavy....found it works great for coon and keeps cats and such out of the traps...coon lure also helps fool them....sprinkle it on/in the trap and leading in the entrance. brushing it in also helps....wish i could tell you how many city coon dad and i trapped with that technique for training/nusiance coon control.

but, i dont know if you'll beable to get them all. best bet is to try that and also start securing the garbage better...shootin them with a bow in the city just dont sound smart to me....

Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Just get a live trap and bait it with jelly.It isn't their fault they arecity raccoons.That's what my father does and then he takes them to a local conservation area and releases them. We trapped a blonde raccoon once that would've been an awesome pelt.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trap them with a live trap, use cat food and marshmellows...Then either have animal control take them away or shoot them with a .22, shorts are quiet and put them in a garbage bag and put them in the trash...I would not take a chance in the city shooting them with a bow, if someting goes wrong we don't need the bad press....
Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have coons in our trash fairly often, but we have neighbors that are TOO close. You never know how they will react, so I let themdo what they do.[:@]
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pellet gun

Quick Reply: Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.