Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them?? >

Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

where i live we use a very effective method of silently killing coons... we go clubbin! find a an old softball bat and some to shine a spotlight for ya and whack em in the head. just dont git bit lol
Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live on LI too and i have racoons and possums all over the place in my backyard, .22 riflesdothe job quietly
Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put up a chain link fence just big enough to put your trash cans in, and then buy a solar powered electric fence box. Electrify the chain link fence, and be sure to turn it off before you touch it.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Spike

Raccoons on LI are a big problem. I have disposed ofthree raccoons thus far. I used to be infested as well. SOBs used to knock the fountain out of my fish pond, drain the water and eat the fish. Wifey threw a spatula at one and it started toeat the burger crumbs off ofit. The first one I got with the .22 (no neighbors at the time). It ran 10 yds. behind our shed. For #2 I used an old BEAR bow that my dad had. 45 LB. Draw. with a BH. Went half way through. The coon screamed and almost made it over the fence into the neighbors yard. On #3 I had a complete pass through. It must have been the king or queen because it left a significant blood trail through the back yard, across the front of my house and into the neighbors yard. I never found it. I don't know if that one lived to tell the story but I haven't really had much of a problem since. I have seen them in the neighborhood and they do get to the garbage once in a while, but they have stopped travelling through my backyard.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

Guys.. thanks for ALL your advice! in the past if done the pellet gun trick.. i got one of those old school Sheridan pump .20 or .22 pellet guns.. it does the trick.. only if you shoot it perfectly in the eye or ears.. it wont penetrate skin to kill, maybe just hurt it a bit. ive done it a few times in the past.. there just so damn disgusting.. and full of diseases. makes me feel unsafe when i let the dog out, i keep her on the leash. when doing the pellet gun method, i open the window to were the garbage cans are a few yards away and they hear me opening up the window and they run.. its like im never there at the right time. anyhow.. i got a bow this year.. and never been hunting.. perhaps that was another excuse for me to try and use the bow, but i dont have any BH right now, just field tips.
also.. for all the guys on LongIsland.. if any of you guys looking for hunting buddies or target shooting buddies lets give eachother a shout. also.. if you guys are going for turkey by any chance i would LOVE to tag along.. i haveNEVER been and im dieing to go..
ok thanks again guys.. im all over the place.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Live trap them but go with corn and put molasses over it. We use cracked corn or hard kernel ( raise it on the farm) butcanned corn should work too.

Sardines, cat foodor any meat based baitwork but you tend to catch cats and skunks too. Course if you want to thin thecats and skunksout also... meat based bait is the ticket!!

Tim
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 AM

If you decise not to live trap them...make sure...double sure they're dead. I don't care if they've got more blood on the outside than in the inside.

I've seen too many take a .22 to the chest...fall 20' from a tree...get 'knocked out' when they hit. Dogs run up on it...and 5 seconds later it 'comes to' and the three dogs have to take turns with it until bleeds out.

A tough "critter" that gets my respect. (Still wouldn't let loaf around my house!! I don't LIKE them...but you won't see me go after one with a baseball bat like Slayer 54!!!)

(More power to ya Slayer...I was probably made paranoid when my "young impressionable" mind tagged along on all those old coon hunts.)
Old 05-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Fork Horn

yeah.. Slayers meathod take some Big Ballz.. mine aint that big.. ill stick to a far enough distance thank you.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trap'm and spear'm. Have some thing ready to throw over them to keep it quiet. The problem is what are you going to do with them after their dead? You could easily kill 3 a night and have 20 in a couple months.

I'd call animal control, you pay for it.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

My neighbor used to trap them. Tie a rope to the trap. Throw full trap into the pond in the morning. Empty trap in the evening into appropriate receptacle and repeat as often as needed.
That's pretty horrible and inhumane in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Racoons in Backyard... Arrow them??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.