Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 for anyone who believes cutting shooting lanes scares deer. >

for anyone who believes cutting shooting lanes scares deer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

for anyone who believes cutting shooting lanes scares deer.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: for anyone who believes cutting shooting lanes scares deer.

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Good point magic....the deer like the easy route too....unless its a big boy...and then he will test our instincts to the max[&o]
Here is a tidbit for you. Those big boys will take the easiest path. But 99.9% of the time it's after dark[&o]A fact I learned last year by following many mature buck tracks.
Look at the percentage of trail cam pics of the big boys,most of them are after dark.The rut is the only reason you see one in daylight.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i made a huge wall that is over 200 yards long that funnels the deer within 30 yards of my stand and i walked to the opening i left and there was a trail wore down to dirt where the opening was,
Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just wongering if you were using that new "Scent Blocker" chainsaw gas. Thats probly why your not spooking any deer. Man that stuff is AWSOME! I heard that the bar oil has activated carbon in it???
People would be surprised at how you can manipulate a deers travel routes. just do it early and lettem get used to the new look.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

i made a huge wall that is over 200 yards long that funnels the deer within 30 yards of my stand and i walked to the opening i left and there was a trail wore down to dirt where the opening was,
great tip steven. this can work just about everywhere people hunt. in farm country you can lower a spot in a fence to funnel deer.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

great tip steven. this can work just about everywhere people hunt. in farm country you can lower a spot in a fence to funnel deer.
Make sure that you have permission to lower the fence, I learned that one the hard way
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GregH

Not to mention the fact that you also created an easy to reach, tasty free meal for them!
when you do the next cutting, look around after a while to see if any deer have been attracted to the area by the sound of the chainsaw. its not uncommon for them to get trained to go to the sound that means a whole bunch of fresh forage is on the ground.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats it, I am packing a chainsaw this fall. When I shoot a monster after he comes running down my to-be-paved trail (path of least resistance!) to devour my freshly cut brush pile (is that baiting?) I will write a book on it. Easy feild dressing too.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Clearing a field hedgerow is far different than cutting shooting lanes near the bucks bedroom or daytime travel corridors. Deer are used to activity around field, tractors, other equipment and all that. Sure they made tracks there, but who made them and when. More than likely after dark if it's a big boy. Girls and fawns go for easy pickings in the super market. At this time of year(and they do know when hunting season comes because of all the upswing in activity in their domain) deer often feed and wander fields during the day, especially if there's a little breeze blowing. The wind and open ground keeps the bugs down.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

True story of suburb deer.......

About 4 years ago, I was cutting roads through the timber for an ASA style 3-D shoot. It took me two days of hard work. I went through 10 tanks of gas in my Stihl Prosaw.[]

As I would drop a tree, buck it up, and move to the next tree, I noticed a growing herd of deer feeding on the treetops I had felled........they were staying one tree behind me!

At times there were as many as 6 deer feeding within 10 yards of me with that high reving saw going wide open![&:]

But, if you try to walk in there without making all that noise......they run like their tails are on fire.

BTW, I personally believe that if you cut a noticable shooting lane....a mature buck will shy from it. Unless he is following a hot doe.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

i just wanted to tell you guys awesome thread im learning alot dead on magicman there is a piece of fence row broken close to my stand got a big doe last day of gun season that way