Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just curious Ally guys >

Just curious Ally guys

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just curious Ally guys

Old 05-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Just curious Ally guys

HUH?? ok you lost me labs!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha ok I'll try to explain better. I'm gonna use hypathetical #s. Say You shoot a bow at dl 27" at 70 lbs and get 295 fps with a 340 gr arrow now say you get 275 fps with that bow with a 390 gr arrow. So With that bow the person is losing 20 fps with an arrow weighing 50 gr more... I'm sure these numbers arent right as I just made em up but thats what I was getting at with (I wanted everyone to post regaurdless of their DL). I just wanted to see what kind of difference they are seeing with different arrow weights to kind of give me and idea of what to expect if I go with a heavier arrow. I dunno if that makes anymore sense but i dunno.I'm sure I'll just head to the shop when I get a chance and just try some diff weights out with arrows and chrono em but I just wanted to get an idea cuz I wont be able to go to the shop for awhile........... My biggest question and thought now is I'm thinkin about tryin out the speed mod and what guys think of it. WCL
Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM

ok, i got it now. Well I will tell you that I get prolly 66 lbs of KE out my arrows and set up. I have 360 gr arrow and pull 71.5 # at 26.5" draw for around 288 -290 fps. smooth mods, with your draw and pull, why would you want the speed mods/?? You got to be over the 300 fps mark, are you ??
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I'm shootin 315 fps and 78 lbs KE with a 352gr arrow at 70lbs with 30" DL. Is what I was thinkin about doin was shootin a heavier arrow with the speed mods to have relatively the same speed but gain KE at longer distance impacts because we all know heavier arrows carry move KE and drive with them farther. I'm one of those guys that likes to shoot long distancesyet wants plenty of drive on my arrow (exspecially for elk) but my light arrows shoot so flat I love it but am worried about drivinthose light arrowsthrough an elk at 60+ yards and maybe try a cowat 80 yards (only if the situation is right). So I guess I'm just thinkin about what to do. I know this setup is plenty good forshootin a deer out to 60 yards but just thinkin about what would be best forout west shootin heavy boned elk at longer ranges.WCL
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at my sig.