Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pre-season thoughts, expectations...... >

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Well, with merely 4 months remaining before archery seasons begin to open, I'm sure most of us are making plans already. Where we'll be hunting, what stands we'll use.....beginning to realize what crops are going to be planted.....For me, it's an exciting time of year.

I've got a spot that I believe I stand a VERY good chance of killing an early season buck. It's the river bottom property that produced for me last year, but it won't be in the woods along the river. There is an "island" of trees, approximately 1 acre, smack dab in the middle of the crop fields. It's about.....100 yards away from thicker timber that I know the deer bed in. If I can get a north wind early in the season.....those trees are a snap to get into.

I know the deer come down off the hill to the north of those fields and feed there in the evening. A north anything wind will find me slipping into that acre of trees and setting up on that field. I honestly feel like if I can get a little luck on my side to bring one close enough.....I honestly stand a pretty good chance at killing one early.

So, that's my plan and I would love to hear about yours. What are your early season plans so far, and what do you think your chances are?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Hunt less.......kill less......less pressure.

I'm going to spend the better part of this season learning my new properties (from the outside, in). That'll either diminish or enhance my chances at a wall-hanger......I'm not sure, yet.

I have one secluded crop field that will be in beans, this fall. I stand my greatest chance of killing a shooter buck in this spot....if I had to make a prediction, now.

I'll be out of my best spot (where I've taken my best bucks) until the right time of year, this year......even if that means sitting on the couch.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting the same property for about 3 years and going mostly by the information I've gotten from the guys that have been there longer. In the past year I've done alot more leg work on my own and have planned out locations for stands in the "less travelled" areas of the property. I've located trails that the deer are now using to get around all the stands that have been in place for years.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It has been a few years since I put a big one in the truck with my bow. I have that gut feeling right now that this year is going to be REAL good to me. One of the biggest factors that is going to help me is I am planning on hunting my ASS off and I finally have the amount of ground to do it. The past two years I was limited to two private farms, totally maybe 200 acres and I had to be careful not to put too much pressure on them, so I there was a lot of time spend hunting does and staying out of my best areas. going into this year, as of right now, I have access to four private farms totall just under 1700 acres, which will allow me to hunt more and still not put too much pressure on them, plus the ability to hunt the wind better. If the wind sucks for one farm, I have backup plans. Always nice.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

To kill 2 with a bow and 2 with a gun ....... same as always for me .....now if my situation changes, my goals will .......
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully my zone will have a management tag and I'm also looking forward to the buck hunting. I think this up coming fall might be one of the best outlooks I've seen yet from going off of last year. Hardly any bucks were shot in my area from the gun hunters last year and a few of the bucks we had on camera last year should be some potential booners this year if they made it through the winter and also didn't get ran over on the road. I am really pumped this year, more then any other year I can think of!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was a break thru year for me. My hunting could be compared to weight lifting. After a while you peak out. Then it seems that no matter how hard you try you don't gain any ground. Last year I started tracking. It has given me new insite as to what mature deer do. This is going to help me in several ways. I hope to get good enough to track down and shoot big bucks on a yearly basis. It is also going to make my stand site selections much more productive. I am just as excited about the upcoming season as I was the first year I started hunting. I view this as a long term learning process that will pay off bigger and bigger as the seasons roll by.
Anyone reading this take note. If you hunt the big woods like I do or small wood lots in farming country, Get out and track deer. Your eyes will be opened. You will discover as I did that deer don't act the way we think they do. Pay attention to every track you cross. Not just " oh theres a deer track" but really study each track. Try to learn the differences in each track. How big is it? is it a buck or a doe? how many fawns? how often does this deer come thru here? Can you look at a bed and tell me how big the deer was that layed there? Can you age a scrape? rub? track? I am paying much more attention to these fine details and am confident that it will increase my percentages in the future.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I would like to get a good buddy of mine down here to do some hunting and possibly bag a whitetail. We have a white deer on our farm that was born last year it will be on the hitlist for sure! I got a few nice bucks that are around that will score pretty decsent, I would like to get on one of those. As for stands they are set and ready to hunt out of. One more thing I do have to do is set another stand up for filming!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking purchasing 2-4 15 ft ladder stands - painting them next month and leaving them outside until August - then going to the lease and putting them up, also hunting with a few buddies once or twice this year - for some doe meat

Quick Reply: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.