Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pre-season thoughts, expectations...... >

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Im going to try to hunt smarter, and more selectively in my stand locations and choice of deer, I'll shoot any doe that crosses my path, but the little bucks are walking(disclaimer: subject to change depending on where im hunting).... I'd like to atleast get 2-3 deer with my bow this year. And hunt some of my other land that i have access too. I'm planning on buying an NC license this year and helping Jeff with his doe population, if he is still looking in that direction. Id like to get to the point where i dont pick up the rifle, but I dont see that happening until i get a decent buck under my belt.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I'll be out of my best spot (where I've taken my best bucks) until the right time of year, this year......even if that means sitting on the couch.
I agree. I think over the last few years I've hunted my interior stands way to much in the early season, just to educate mature bucks. This season I wont hunt the inside parts of my farm until late October.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Im going to be out hunting as much as I can in the 4 areas I have to bowhunt this year. There are plenty of deer and some good sign from Big deer. Just have to stay sent free and watch my step. I'm definately looking forward to the season ahead !
Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thoughts;

I am really looking forward to my summer vaction and scouting for bucks all of June, July and August.. let it all unfold from there.. Lots of prep work to be done once the evidence is collected.

Try to get out to Kansas this summer and see Joey and Jody..

Looking forward to seeing Rybo again this fall for elk, hunting. The elk showed back up last night at my place.. snow is melting. Looking forward to having Tim and Tyler out too if it works out for them..

Looking forward to scouting some newly aquired farm country in N. central Idaho. Waiting to hear back on some property I may get to hunt in Wash state for whitetails as well.

Expectations;

For fall, get the buds on elk. Myself,fill both whitetail bucks tags on a couple old bruisers, fill theelk tag/fill the freezerand finally go onone out of state hunt. Get at least onewhitetail buck kill on film for RJ. More than one would be a bonus.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

Well, with merely 4 months remaining before archery seasons begin to open, I'm sure most of us are making plans already. Where we'll be hunting, what stands we'll use.....beginning to realize what crops are going to be planted.....For me, it's an exciting time of year.

I've got a spot that I believe I stand a VERY good chance of killing an early season buck. It's the river bottom property that produced for me last year, but it won't be in the woods along the river. There is an "island" of trees, approximately 1 acre, smack dab in the middle of the crop fields. It's about.....100 yards away from thicker timber that I know the deer bed in. If I can get a north wind early in the season.....those trees are a snap to get into.

I know the deer come down off the hill to the north of those fields and feed there in the evening. A north anything wind will find me slipping into that acre of trees and setting up on that field. I honestly feel like if I can get a little luck on my side to bring one close enough.....I honestly stand a pretty good chance at killing one early.
Sounds good Mo! Hope that buck is led right to you.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 PM

One of the areas of public land I hunt is being selectively cut right now. So depending on when they stop their cutting there - it may be a great early season area as there will be ton of food on the ground for them. If that doesn't work out, I should have access to another piece of private this year that has produced some very good bucks for the owner and he's more than happy to let me sit just about where ever I want. There is also a small chunk of isolated public land that I found on a map and checked out towards the end of gun season this year, I may take a walk through there sometime soon to see its potential...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am excited and hopeful that all the pre-season work I put in to scouting and learning the areas I hunt will make me succesful. That and luck.... I feel like a dang phoenix every hunting season, reborn to enjoy life again ot the fullest.

Brett
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

hopefully this year will be my best year. after passing ona marginal shot on a 130" buck only to have bim killed by my neighbor three days later(opening day of rifle season). i'm gonna be putting up a new set on a ridge that the deer have been traveling to get from one field to my neighbors food plot. definitely try to hunt smarter and not harder.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM

I'm more pumped this year than I have been in a long time. First off- new lease. I have already been spending a lot of foot time getting to know my way around and searching for sign. Been seeing plenty. Have been rotating 3 cams around evry couple of weeks. Just looking at trail crossings but seeing deer in almost all locations. This lease is paper company land that has all been harvested and is in 3 ages of regrowth so it's real thick. Has already made me realize that there are a lot more bow hunting spots than gun spots on this property which is why I'm finally going to stop saying I'm going to start bow hunting next year and do it this year. So now I'm even more pumped I'm going to try something I've always wanted to do and I gain an extra month of hunting time. A big plus is in my area, East Texas, the rut is just ending at the start of gun season. So I will be in the woods when the big boys are moving around. I have been having trouble finding a bow because of a short draw length, 26". Nobody has a selection available that can either be adjusted or the proper cam installed to let me try shooting some for comparison. So far I have only been able to try one here and one there and that's a hard way to compare. Am on my way to see the local Bowtech dealer. He's trying to push me to a Bowtech but from what I read here most of you would say that's not a bad idea. He is supposed to have gotten some in that he is going to let me try. Once I find a bow then it's practice time and scouting and hog hunting until deer season.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 PM

I hope to get my first one with a bow and to kill one with my new rifle. I have a couple of new areas lined up that I would like to hunt this year so I still need to get permission for that. I also plan on doing more scouting and planning this summer to increase my chances.

Quick Reply: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.