Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 **Updated a 3rd time - 5/3** - Best of luck to my PA brothers tomorrow...... >

**Updated a 3rd time - 5/3** - Best of luck to my PA brothers tomorrow......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

**Updated a 3rd time - 5/3** - Best of luck to my PA brothers tomorrow......

Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: **Updated Again 5/2** - Best of luck to my PA brothers tomorrow......

congrats on the bird, did ya karate chop him and put him out - that would have been priceless to see your expression - his last words were something like *******ker- glad you got it done
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: **Updated Again 5/2** - Best of luck to my PA brothers tomorrow......

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Congrats on the super Jake! Why not with the bow Matt?
I'm not a very good shot.
Yeah uh huh, your nose is growing by the second Matt!!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt you look like a sissy with that gun in the picture!LOL[8D]
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, congrats on your first bird. Feels great doesn't it? Do you have another tag? If so, you should see if you can get the next one with a bow. Heck, from shooting 3d you probably have the same effective range as that 3 1/2" supermag.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you were able to make it up Matt and share this hunt with us. As I said, you are welcome any time you feel like making the trek up, there is always room for you. Congrats again on this bird, we certainly worked for this one and earned it.

How did the hunt in NY go for you? Did you guys get into them up there?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Matt, congrats on your first bird. Feels great doesn't it? Do you have another tag? If so, you should see if you can get the next one with a bow. Heck, from shooting 3d you probably have the same effective range as that 3 1/2" supermag.
Thanks! I do have another tag.......and I am enjoying this shotgun thing.

I wish I had more access to just going out the back door to hunt these things. Man it's fun. I did it quite a bit when I was in college 15yrs ago up north and called birds in for buddies but hadn't hunted them for myself much since. I forgot how much fun turkey hunting can be when you don't have guys ruining your set ups everytime you sit down. The public land experience is what made me shy away from hunting them since.

That's why the time I get to hunt them with Russ, Rob and Matt means so much. Good friends and a place to go where we can enjoy them without other guys messing up the fun.
Rob and I might be back at it again this weekend? We were going to go up together toMatt's place again and film but he's doing the mother's day thing so maybe the 2 of us will film again near Rob's?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt (heck....all of you)...

Congrats. I know that was one long sought after bird! Great story, guys.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

How did the hunt in NY go for you? Did you guys get into them up there?
It went awesome!......I got the assist calling and filming my buddy Russ kill a 9" gobbler. He came in silent in the rain to our decoy spread but took a mud nap on camera for us.

And thanks again man it's mucho appreciated.
I might try to sneak out for a midweek hunt back up near my hometown in Schuylkill Co.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Matt / PA, congratulatioins on a great bird. I cut my first one an a superjake as well. Sounds like a very exciting hunt all around. The curse is broken, the next ones will be easier.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, i just seen you got your first, i must have missed it. Big congrats bud, sounded like an exciting hunt.
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Just got home this evening from the PA / NY whirlwind turkey tour. LOL

As Matt alluded to we got a spring bird on the ground! It wasn't the "Big Tom" thatwe thought he was (We both could see his beard making him easily a legal PA bird but through the brush it was hard to determine EXACTLY how old he was.) We were down to the wire in the last hour of the hunt Saturday and this puppy was about to bug out because a deer spooked right into him so we made the executive decision to send a 3 1/2" mag downrange. I believe the exact words in my ear were: "BIG TOM! if you have a clear shot KILL HIM!"
First time I fired a shotgun at a game animal in roughly 15yrs. FUN STUFF!

So Rj runs over to him and breaks the news that he's a "superjake" but I couldn't have cared less! He's my first spring bird and the hunt went down awesome (He's got a full 5" beard and little noogie sized spurs)
We just absolutely went ballistic with the calls on a lone hen we heard in an attempt to make her mad enough to come to us and man did we ever! cutting her off with every call she came trotting over to kick some butt.
She towed the unseen young tom right along with her.

The very end was interesting too as we were discussing the bird (head down eyes closed) and I was smoothing his feathers..........Out of nowhere he gets enough energy to raise his head and turn and look at me. [:-]
So after a minute of hand to hand combat (which I was looking forward to anyway ) I tapped him out and put the first bird in the book for me.

Some other highlights of the hunt were the 3 longbeards and 5 jakes earlier in the Am that we couldn't get to commit to the calls while dan filmed. We just couldn't get them to come around a pond and into gun range and we couldn't get a better angle on them because of property lines, but the roughly 200 gobbles on film made it sweet nontheless.
The haunted house, deflated air mattress, goat wrangling, and Froggy were also items of interest worth mentioning.

Many many thanks to Matt and Dan (andMatt's dad) for making me feel so welcome up there. You never know when you accept an invite to hunt if you are imposing or not and they couldn't have made me feel more welcome and it's so very appreciated. Thank you guys.