Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I still say turkeys are tougher than deer >

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Not to be confrontational.....just a personal opinion. I'm talking spring gobblers v. deer.

To begin with.....we're limited (turkey hunting) to male birds. On top of that......the targets, themselves, are MUCH smaller. Compound these items with the fact that you're on the ground (I'm STILL not convinced that a blind is oblivious to a turkey).

Rob and I had 9 legal birds in range at one time, Friday......and that same group inside 50 yds on Saturday. I know the causes of our demise on Friday......but have no idea why the gig was up on Saturday before they even got into range.

Deer hunting, here........well....it's not AS difficult. These birds are worthy adversaries. They deserve their due.

Kudos to you guys getting it done on these spring gobblers via archery tackle. You have my respect.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Have to agree. Also for me they seem to be a little bit harder to pattern.You can pattern deer pretty well, but those darn turkey seem to always pop out 50 yrsd further away than they were suppose to. HAHA
Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The frustrating thing for me with turkeys is that with a deer, you seldom know they are around if you don't see them. You may here one crunching the leaves walking behind you or something, but that's about it as far as knowing oneis there an not actually seeing it. With turks, you know they are there from gobbles, and STILL may not see them. Or, you get to watch them strut around just out of range. How often does a big buck just mill around about 10 yards out of range? We had a big bird last year that wouldn't cross a creek, but he gobbled to us for over an hour strutting back and forth on the bank, very frustrating!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I dunno, Mike. We had just about as many gobblers come in silent this past weekend as we did come in gobbling. We had a few hens come by us and never make a sound. On the surface.....that doesn't seem so much of a big deal.....but we did see a BEAUTIFUL bearded hen that we'd love to have taken. I wonder how many times they walk right by us in the woods and we never even know they were there. Too much, I fear.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never hunted so hard in my life as I did to get my Bird this season! We have only 5 days to get it done, I got it done in 4, my last day to hunt!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

BHF....I musta missed that! Do you have photos? I know you were gonna go after them with your trad gear.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd bet its more of what their hearing than what their not seeing.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM

Turkeys can be educated to the blind. If they relate that blind to danger from...oh, let's say somebody we know throwing an arrow at one and missing it, or......If you get out of the blind w/ birds in sight and they see you.......They're gonna be pretty spooky around that blind after that.

Do you have the Eastern variety of turkey there Jeff? I've read, and experienced, that those are the most difficult to call in. As I'm sure you k now, this goes against nature. Naturally, the hens go to the tom, not vice versa. Now, if you get one in the right mood, he'll run you over.......But by and large, it's been my experience that it's quite difficult.

Now,I know a couple guys that seem to have little trouble w/ it. Maybe I just don't talk sexy enough.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Bartender

I will still go with Mature Whitetails. I will leave you withthis for my vacation. Have good week Jeff.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd bet its more of what their hearing than what their not seeing.
Please expound, Jim. Ilikelyagree with you......but would love to hear more on what you're thinking.

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.