Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I still say turkeys are tougher than deer >

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Still if I can pick my spot I still like my odds on a Long Beard versus a 150"+ Buck.
Only by sheer numbers. If 150" bucks were as plentiful as longbeards, I'd like my odds on 150" bucks better when it comes to bows.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Still if I can pick my spot I still like my odds on a Long Beard versus a 150"+ Buck.
Only by sheer numbers. If 150" bucks were as plentiful as longbeards, I'd like my odds on 150" bucks better when it comes to bows.
Just curious as to what leads you to that decision?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

IF a dog hadn't stopped to crap, he would have caught the Rabbit

Dan
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

If my woods carried a compacity of 150" bucks as there are longbeards. Say my 100 acres carries 5 150" bucks, I have 6 weeks and all day to hunt them vs, 4 weeks until noon to hunt the longbeards, I'll take the odds that I arrow a 150" buck over the turkey. Now couple that longbeards are probably more plentiful than that, because there would be 3 or 5 on the next property and the next property and so on and so forth so if I had 25 150" bucks in a square mile which is very probable to turkeys, I like my odds at arrowing a 150" buck. Very much so.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM

While I agree that turkeys are harder when it comes to the season being shorter and having less time to take a mature turkey with a bow, but other than that definitely not. Mature whitetails are not as plentiful as gobblers. You may have 3 months to hunt whitetails, but you may not be able to pattern that buck after you find it. While getting a turkey with a bow is hard, I also feel it is a lot easier to get lucky on a big tom rather than a big buck. I have seen Jay Gregory's son take a nice tom with his bow on Wild outdoors. Not saying it is easy, but that just makes me think a little that a whitetail is harder. I tell you one thing I would rather shoot a deer with thier kill zone than a turkeys. I will say tracking a gobbler is harder too. I've shot one with a bow, but didnt recover it.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM

You would all have to agree that seeing a turkey is much eaiser than seeing a mature buck... But based on kill zones, "usually" if you see the mature buck while hunting, he is probably closer to being within your bow range. If you see a mature turkey while hunting, the odds are that he is probably not within your "comfortable" bow range.

Not to hyjack this thread but.... Would this be a true statement: Most bow hunter would be more likely to extend their comfortable bow range on a 150"+ buck then on a turkey. What I mean, we all know that a kill zone in a turkey is about the size of a softball. We all wait to get that bird in as close as we can before we shoot. On a large deer, the zone is MUCH larger. I believe that quite a few of us have rushed a shot because the buck looked like he might be moving out, or just was not coming all the way in.

If we are just talking about making a lethal hit on the animal, I say that a turkey is much more difficult. If we are talking about seeing one while hunting, I say getting a large buck within bow range is more difficult.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok now are we talking 150'' buck against a 15'' beard Turkey

What I am saying is I am not going to use the shorter season as an excuse for me, If I really wanted to go after a mature Tom I would make the time Just so folks know I am talking about me!!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

If a turkey could smell us as dangerthey would be the hardest animal in the world to hunt.

Darrall
Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

If a turkey could smell us as dangerthey would be the hardest animal in the world to hunt.

Darrall
I would call them in from down wind with the same success[8D] I hunt turkeys and I think its easy. I hunt locations to hunt P&Y deer and I find that a challenge, I've never had a Turkey mounted for the same reason I don't mount Bluegill.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

Darrall
If a deer could see like a turkey, well you know

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.