Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on strategy.....setting up at night >

Question on strategy.....setting up at night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on strategy.....setting up at night

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on strategy.....setting up at night

Maybe drive up with the truck much like a farmer would? I would do it midday or early morning, but you already know that.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh, was posting when you said the birds are in there all day. Yeah, obviously not smart goinginafter daylight if there hanging out in there all day. If you make too much noise setting upjust hit your cow call and that will throw the birds off!!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how the turkeys are in your area, but in NJ a lot of the birds on the game lands get blown out of the fields about 10 times a day, at least. Usually by joggers, mountain bikers, dog walkers, etc. They come back out within a half hour usually. So, if you go in, blow the birds out and set up your blind and leave they should be back out there within the hour.

I also don't see an issue getting in there early in the morning and setting it up either.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not questioning.....just trying to understand the (mid-day) strategy. If they're in there......why is that a good timeto set up?

The only time theses turkeys see vehicles is when they leave this woodlot. They're insulated where they are. I can't get a vehicle back there now (wheat planted in the fields).
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm not questioning.....just trying to understand the (mid-day) strategy. If they're in there......why is that a good timeto set up?

The only time theses turkeys see vehicles is when they leave this woodlot. They're insulated where they are. I can't get a vehicle back there now (wheat planted in the fields).
I agree with you on that. I'd prefer the cover of darkness. As long as you're not right on top of them you shouldn't spook them off the roost.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Personally im setting my blinds a week before season opens but thats just my .2, and if i have to move them during season i do it at about 12:00 in the afternoon when Im done hunting and I just make as less noise as possible