Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Urine and Deer Attractants >

Deer Urine and Deer Attractants

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Tinks
19.35%
Rickard's
6.45%
Code Blue
3.23%
Wildlife Research
6.45%
Team Fitzgerald
6.45%
Doc's
0%
James Valley
3.23%
Mrs. Doe Pee
0%
Other
22.58%
I don't piss my money away anymore
32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Deer Urine and Deer Attractants

Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Urine and Deer Attractants

I thought this could stir some interesting conversation. Over the last 7 years I have seen some crazy stuff with Deer Urine products and attractants. Take the poll and tell a story of the good, the bad, and the just plain waste of money.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Urine and Deer Attractants

James Valley has been a good one for me deer hunting, I've fooled allot of bucks using this stuff. I've tried the Wildlife Research allot of times also and had some success but not nearly as much as the James Valley. My dad has had great success with Tinks through out the years also. For bear hunting Code Blue has been outstanding, I've found nothing that works like it so far.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had some serious problems with the Code Blue Gel Doe Urine. I tried three different bottles and they all caused deer to run the direction they came.
I had a bad experience in Mercer Wisconsin using tinks on a small 8 pointer on public land, not sure if he smelled it before or I contaminated it but never had much luck with Tinks.
We do get stuff local to Northern Illinois that has worked pretty good called S&P if I remember right, had one buck that I could swear doubled the size of his neck after getting a whiff and stood there dazed.
I used to use Rickard's Love Potion #9 around here and it worked great but I think they no longer make it. I had one day during the rut three years ago where is was in the 60's and there was a light breeze that brought several nice bucks into my stand area.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I tried attractant scents with no positive results. I also do very little with oder elimination products. I don't use scent control clothing eithor. I am a firm believer in playing the wind. I have good luck using pine branches placed in with my clothes as a cover scent. I just don't believe that you can beat a deers nose. The time it would take to properly apply a total scent control system would make it hard to find time to hunt. If you don't go 100% in scent control you might as well not do anything. A friend of mine swears by sex attractant scents. He claims he got 2 nice bucks because of it. I'm not sure what name brand he uses.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

In the past I tried attractant scents with no positive results. I also do very little with oder elimination products. I don't use scent control clothing eithor. I am a firm believer in playing the wind. I have good luck using pine branches placed in with my clothes as a cover scent. I just don't believe that you can beat a deers nose. The time it would take to properly apply a total scent control system would make it hard to find time to hunt. If you don't go 100% in scent control you might as well not do anything. A friend of mine swears by sex attractant scents. He claims he got 2 nice bucks because of it. I'm not sure what name brand he uses.
I don't use much scents anymore Magic for deer hunting. I also use the pine branches for cover scent when I'm bear hunting in Northern Mn and i think it works very well, we don't have much of that stuff where i am down here so i can't use it for the whitetails.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best Scent is No scent!

Dan
Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Deer Dander from Team Fitzerald , it work great as a cover sent as well as an attractant.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I may elaberate a little further: Anything we do puts us at risk of warning the deer of trouble. When you start placing out scent you run the risk of leaving unwanted scent. A drag line must be drug in areas that deer will smell it. you run the risk of leaving your own scent as well. Pacing off distances leaves scent. (thats why I use a rangefinder) I believe the scent left behind after trimming shooting lanes is the reason deer are alerted. ( the woods is in a constant flux, limbs falling, trees falling, deer are used to this). For these reasons I choose to use the approach that less is more.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Site Buck Guru

I only use scents for about 2 weeks. I use Pete Rickards Indian Buck Lure. The only reason I use it is to stop a buck for a shot. I use it as a distraction rather than an attraction.

I tried Tinks #69 a couple of times but I scared the deer away!! []
Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had luck with it and had deer walk right past it! I've had young bucks walk right up to the bottle and sniff it a few times and hang in the area! I leave it at the base of my tree just for a cover scent. Last year I tried Code blue, I pissed my money away, the expensive pissing kind! If I use anything this season I'm going to try the Deer Herd in a stick just for some type of cover scent, but still undecided!

Quick Reply: Deer Urine and Deer Attractants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.