Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 have you ever stolen a treestand? >

have you ever stolen a treestand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I have.
13.77%
No I havent.
86.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

have you ever stolen a treestand?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: have you ever stolen a treestand?

Nope but I did just cut one down a couple weeks ago for a friend whose property it was on and turned it over to them and they gave it to the co!!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are on my land its TRESSPASING and yes they come down! I leave no notes cause they are not to be there in the 1st place! However I would never just take a stand that I have no right to (public land , someone else land...) I had a kid come in last year and when I was walking to my stand at 5 in the morning he shined his light on me! I thought to myself damn this is weird im the only one hunting here so when I saw no deer I was pissed. I called the farmer and he said noone should be there. I told him I was taking the stand down and he agreed and said just keep it! Turns out I never saw the kid again. Some people have real balls. I do know he was dropped off. I watched him walk out and get picked up! I never saw the vehicle again either! So if I was on the "MOMENT OF TRUTH" the answer is yes!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM

I have a small collection of old abandoned stands I have found on my properties. They sure look old. Some of them are homemade.

I found one last year that was not so old so I unhooked it and left it there. I think the owner came and got it
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never taken one home but I have taken one down that was way over the line. I took it down and layed at the base of a tree with a poster sign on it. Had it been any farther off the line than it was, I would have acquired it.

If I find one on my own property, it will go home with me and replaced with a note to come see me. If they do, we'll have a talk, if they don't, I now have another stand.

And I would hope that the 4 people who so far voted yes are under this assumption and not outright stealing. There is no place in bowhunting, this forum or my world for thieves.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

technically a stand placed on public property for a period of time could be considered abandoned and free to take. I don't know how true this is. Maybe someone with knowledge could chime in.
I hope that, even if this is true and in NJ it is, you do not take stands hung on public land.

As hunters, we know darn well when a stand has been "abondoned". We KNOW, that stands are hung and hunted rarely in some cases. So, using the wording of the "laws" in your favor, in this case, would be horrible ethics and show no integrity.

If there are vines growing through a rusted stand, MAYBE you can consider that stand abondoned.......Aside form that, on public land...dont take stands. Who knows, maybe that guy only hunts a day or 2 out of the year...
First, I've never taken a stand, or even taken one down. But as far as defining abandonded stands on public ground, MO states that all temporary stands must be removedby the end of the season. So, if it was there a month after the end of season, it would be considered abandonded.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Yep....If you hang on or near the border of our property, we have been instructed to remove the stand, place a posted sign on the tree with a phone number for the hunter to call to reclaim his property.

But I have never and will never take a stand off of property that is not mine with the intention of keeping it for myself.

The gentleman that I caught trespassing last week, he and his friend had 4 stands hung on our land. 2 wooden that were built and 2 hang-ons. I cut one hang-on down in Dec and the other down last month along with removing the 2 wooden stands. We knew where this guy(s) were comming from and how, just not when. While posting the land, we placed his stands the the wood from the 2 built stands over their fence line with a friendly posted sign stating, DO NOT RETURN - You will be arrested. This is your first and final warning.

When I caught him, I walked him over to the stands and showed him. I said, we dont want to steal or destroy your equipment, so we placed them here for you. We will let you slide this time, but the next time, you will be charged.

Thats not stealing, thats stand removal and return.

I did keep his chain and told him that he wasnt getting it back...He didnt object.
SO your telling me that if I own the land that butts up against yours and choose to hang a stand on MY land that is close to yours you will remove it??WOW I think thats pushing the limits a little and looking for trouble!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you hang on or near the border of our property, we have been instructed to remove the stand,
Wouldn't you have to tresspass on your neighbors property to take one down that's near your border?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

You gotta watch what you do on those property boundaries. My neighbor misjudged his boundary with mine and put his daughters stand about 5 feet on to my property, so mistakes can be made. I didn't make an issue of it and as a result, I now have permission to hunt his 140 acres that bounds my land on three sides.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy found a stand burried in the woods one time, seat is broke, so I gave it a new home. I dont consider that stealing, ithad obviously been there for years.

Quick Reply: have you ever stolen a treestand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.