Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taking the Top Tier Bucks >

Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Taking the Top Tier Bucks

The two largest bucks I've seen on my hunting land are in my avatar. I've seen....in 3 yrs hunting there (besides the two I've taken):

3ea 2.5yr olds (1 on game cam)
1ea 3.5yr old (gamecam, only)
0 older deer.

A 100" deer is a FINE representative deer for the land I hunt.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My goals are based on the area I hunt. I set my goals at a size that is realistic if I work very hard, and get a little lucky. There have been deer that score into the 180's and I know of one that went over 200". Most average bucks given a chance to mature are capable of obtaining 140's maybe a little bigger. I will settle for something in the 130's +. I consider myself a mature buck hunter more than a trophy hunter. That being said, rack score plays only a part in my decision to shoot or not. Another thing: I love to hunt so if I would tag out early it would kinda suck!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

The potential for my general areas I would put at 160-170". Those are the kinds of bucks you only hear about or see in a local newspaper. I've never seen one that big in person.

Real life top end bucks in my area might top out at 150" but they are still very few and far between. If you shoot a 130" class around here, that's pretty good, as I feel that's about as big a buck one has a realistic chance at. My personal goals are 3.5 + and what I field judge to be over 120" maybe a little higher, but I don't want to lay down absolutes when it comes to my field judging skill.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The potential for my general areas I would put at 160-170". Those are the kinds of bucks you only hear about or see in a local newspaper. I've never seen one that big in person.

Real life top end bucks in my area might top out at 150" but they are still very few and far between. If you shoot a 130" class around here, that's pretty good, as I feel that's about as big a buck one has a realistic chance at. My personal goals are 3.5 + and what I field judge to be over 120" maybe a little higher, but I don't want to lay down absolutes when it comes to my field judging skill.

Rybo, it sounds like your spots are very much like mine. I know that the 3.5 and up deer exist, but once the season starts their daytime activity is limited to several minutes per day if that until the rut. Even during the rut some bucks just don't show themselves.

Magicman, that is the way I hunt my areas as well.I have a lot of little spots that differ in quality due to food sources, pressure, etc. Some spots if I see a 100" buck I'm pulling the trigger because he may be the big dog on that property. Other spots I know I have a chance at some better bucks in the 120" + range and older deerso I'll hold out for one of them.

Good info. Keep it coming.