Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 southern tier hunting >

southern tier hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

southern tier hunting

Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM

Default southern tier hunting

I live in the southern tier in New York and had a pretty good year for seeing deer but never really saw anything spectacular and the rut seemed like a big bust.I only experinced one real good day for bucks chasing does and that was the day after halloween.Was just wondering how anybody else did and what kind of experiences they had.Eager to hear.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: southern tier hunting

I have experienced the very same findings, during both the bow and gun seasons!! I was offthe first 10 days in November during the bow season, and "NEVER" seen any sign of rutting activity???? All I seen was a few doe of which I took one, and a small 4 pt. (This area I bowhunt in produces some dandy bucks as well!!) Last years bowseason was the very same as this years, very lack luster rut!!! I didn't get out much during our gun season due to the "GOUT" in my right foot, but when I was, very little buck sighting as well???? With more and more hunters getting out of this sport, you'd think that the actual deer sightings and number of actual bucks would be going up? I guess if I had to choose between hunting the bow or gun season, I would surely pick the bowseason!! Loosing interest in the gun season altogether!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 AM

I saw a lot of deer sign in the woods and 1 hunter all season - usually can not go 100 yrds without running into someone - the season was too warm for the most part and the deer were mostly moving at night from what I was able to establish.

I did take a nice 8 point but that was in bow the day after the first snow - he was on a hot scape and was not paying much attention to anything but finding a doe -
Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

My kinfolks in southernSteuben Co. report that it was a lack-luster year for (shotgun)deer hunting in the Troupsburg-Jasper areas. Had intended to join them this past season, they talked me out of buying the NR license.

On the upside, they think next year ought to be muchbetter due to limited deer kills in the areas they normally hunt in.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I took a 4 point on OCT 26th and that was the only buck i saw all season.I hunted the entire first week and saw five deer total.Deer sightings were far and few between at my camp in Tioga county during gun season.Fourteen guys hunting the first week and 1 buck and 1 doe were taken.Everyone i talked to in our area had the same results as we did.Oh well i hope this year is better.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

similar findings here - little rut activities but good sign; weather pretty much stunk; didn't see a lot of deer - they seemed to vacate area
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Our camp is in 8t -Cameron area. We had a pretty good season.
We all saw a bunch of 1 1/2 yr olds...and several nice shooters. Hopefully with the weather we are having, this year should be excellent!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Spike

i hunt in dmu 9h and saw 11 different bucks during archery season , but no real shooters. 1 1/2 year olds mainly. saw one monster 10 pt. as i was parking my truckfirst week of november about an hour before daylight.
landowner has seen 2 big bucks since seasons ended so hopefully will be there for next year. i've got trail a camera for christmas and its in the woods now, will post pics if i have any good ones.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

9R same thing. Season sucked
Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Did the majority of my bowhunting in 9R also. Saw and passed 1 little buck. Funny thing was, we got some bruisers on the trail cams and saw not 1 of those deer in archery or gun season. Thinking of putting my trail cam out, see if they are still there.

Quick Reply: southern tier hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.