Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taking the Top Tier Bucks >

Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Before I start, I don't want this to boil down into a QDM vs. brown it's down match, or to be a thread about location.

I was just watching a video from one of our favorite local HNI producers and scratching my head at some of the bucks that were being passed up on because there is no way in hell they'd get past my stand. Then something occured to me. It is obvious that the person passing up those bucks wanted to hunt and kill the top tier bucks in his area, and those he was passing were not it. They would have been the top tier bucks in my area which is why I would be taking a shot at them.

So, this makes me think while a buck of a certain age or class is a top tier buck in some areas it is one that will be passed in another. As a result, taking the best class of deer in your area is commendable in my view.

With that said, what is the top class of deer in your area. That is the size in inches AND age that you can expect to have a couple of in your area that will be the creme of the crop for the spots you hunt, not the state, county, or region, but in YOUR spots.

In my spots the very best deer that I see are 3.5-4.5 year olds in the 140"-150" range. There aren't many of them, but they are there.

EDIT: Buckeye added a nice twist to this. Thanks!

What are the top end bucks in your spots and what are you looking to shoot?

As I said above top end are 140-150, but at this point in time I'm shooting at 110" or bigger.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taking the Top Tier Bucks

I enjoyed your thoughts and agree with much you wrote.

Abuck I field judge as 140 class (gross score) is what it takes for me to want to take the shot.... Although this is not a "top end buck" for my area, it is plenty enough to trip my trigger.....

Top tier for my area is 160+... They do get bigger however, much bigger in some instances but are ratherrare.

Top end bucks are usually 4.5 + years old here.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too agree with what you have said. I hunt two different ranches, on one ranch we can expect a top tier buck to be 4.5+ and 145+. On our family land 3.5-4.5 140 is top tier
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

3.5-4.5-- 140-145".

Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are the top end bucks in your spots and what are you looking to shoot?

I know we have 170" bucks in the area. Do I see them? Very rarely do I. I've seen 2 that would make that. My goals are 130" and up. I've passed on allot of bucks that were between 120" and 130" knowing there is bigger and better. I've got allot of learning to do yet to get these bigger guys in closer but its getting better.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good buck in NH is 120"+ and probably 3.5-4.5. There certainly are bigger deer and here's proof 2006 record buck 20 minutes from the largest city in NH.

Excerpt from the press...
"He actual gross green score was 200 inches with a net green score of 187 5/8 inches. The buck's field dressed weight was 167 pounds and Fish and Game estimated the age to be between 5 and 6 years old."

Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a pig of a buck!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Thats a pig of a buck!!!!!
One of my friends knows this guy.
I SURE WISH THAT WAS ME!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I passed on a decent six pointer this past season because I knew that there was a monster still walking around. Next year I am thinking I will take him because he should be a real nice 8 point.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Anything that is a nice 2.5 yr old or better is good around this area. So I would shoot one if given the oppourtunity late in the season. Early on I may pass. Then there are some 3.5yr old plus that show up on occasion. There are a few nice ones shot every year. A 10 pointer is typically a wall hanger, never seen anything with any non-typical points around here though. Something with a spread over 18" is a pretty nice sight.

This guy is nice, but I would hope for another year. I can put money on any other hunter in our area shooting him though.

Quick Reply: Taking the Top Tier Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.