HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some Newbie Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 08:15 PM
hoythunter48

Default RE: Some Newbie Questions

1. My favorite rest is the Whisker Biscuit rest. Sure it looks like a huge gimmick but if you are just into bowhunting I do not see one downside to this rest, maybe if you were a 3-d shoooter but not a hunter because there is no signifigant decrease in speed or accuracy. Im not a big fan of the drop-away rests to many moving parts to break.

2. Trophy Ridge is a very good sight company. As for myself like I said above just hunt, no competition shoots so i try to keep everything simple I decide what the maximum range is ill shoot and i have two pins, and practice with them all year long, something i found to help is take each arrow give it a good toss and go shoot fro mwhere it lands to help me with judging distance but make sure you have a safe place you can do this first. I like to keep it simple so when the time comes i dont have to do a mathematical equation to figure out which pin to use.

3.Personally I' d go with the 60-70lb draw weight. You say that you have no problem drawing it back so thats what id choose and id probably set it on 60-65, sure 70 will be flatter shooting, but when your settin up a tree on a seat four inches wide in 10degree wheather four fours hours your gonna get pretty stiff so i like to keep mine a little lower for times like that.

4. As for bows don' t let anybody sway you one way, one bow might feel better to you then it does to somebody else thats where you have to go and try for yourself. With a name like mien youd think thats what id be shootin but im shootin a mathews this year. I started out with a longer bow myself like 36-37inches not to bad but they say a longer bow is a bit easier to shoot, but a shorter bow has its obivious advantages. dont let anybody tell you what bow to buy you have to decide that for yourself.

Thats all i can help with hope it helps you if you need anything else just ask