HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some Newbie Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Nebraska Bow Hunter

Default Some Newbie Questions

Hey guys, I' m 31 years old and just looking to start bowhunting. I have a 27" draw. I will be using a bow mainly for hunting. I know there is several beginning bow hunter posts on here but didn' t see any with the answers that I wanted. I have a few questions for beginning bowhunters.

1. Rests - Since I' m a beginner, should I go with one of the capture rests or go with a drop away rest? I really don' t like the TM Hunter rests and think I would have a problem with the arrow following off the rest. Do you guys use the drop away rests for hunting or is it more of a 3D type of rest? Also do you have any problems with components freezing up on them as it can get snowy and cold here in Nebraska.

2. Sights - I really like 2 sights that I' ve seen and read about. One is the Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix and the other is the Impact Cosmic. Any thoughts on which would be better for a beginner. I' m still a little complexed on how guys get the Cosmic to work for say a 30 yard shot if it is currenty set at 20 yards.

3. Draw Weight - Most bows I see are between 60-70 lb draws. I was thinking about going with 50-60 lb. Is there an advantage to having a 60-70 lb draw? I' m a stout guy so the weight wouldn' t be a real problem but is it overkill or will I get a flatter shot? I won' t be hunting anything bigger than deer for a while.

4. Bows - Most say go with a longer axle to axle length for a beginner to have a more forgiving bow. I' m curious is there that big of a difference between a short bow and a longer one? Can' t a beginner practice enough with a shorter bow to become proficient?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.