Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your take on game cameras? >

Your take on game cameras?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your take on game cameras?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Your take on game cameras?

Does anyone feel like they educate deer and turkeys? I can defiantly see this happening, however I do believe with the right approach it could be eliminated (scent reduction, the correct entry and exit). Anyone have any experiences with this? I do think that if they are used right, they are a tremendous tool to the hunter.

Thanks ahead of time for your input!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your take on game cameras?

They educate them alright. My pics went way down from what they were when I 1st had it out. If they can see it, hear it or even smell it thats enough right there to keep some bucks or even doe's from walking that same direct path. I've seen it in the snow where they will walk 20' further around the camera to avoid it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Bartender

Yep definitly affected my area last season. I will now only use them on the fringes of my hunting area instead of tracking all through it just to get to them. These 2 guys disappeared on me after messing with them.
I also put some blame on another hunter he also kind of screwed the land up by the time Nov rolled around.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on how you use your cameras. Two years ago we hung a camera in a new spot around the 1st of Nov. A guy hunted that stand about week and half later and shot a great 163" 10 the first hour on the stand. He pulled the camera and we had 13 pictures of that same buck. If you check your cameras alot and leave them in the same location, I think you educate them. Before season, I normally have my cameras on food plots and field edges and only check them maybe 1 time amonth. During season, I will hang them in areas that I am not hunting much and only check them/get them when I go in to hunt that area.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it depends on how you use your cameras.
Bingo.

If you check your cameras alot and leave them in the same location, I think you educate them.
Bingo, Bingo.

I will hang them in areas that I am not hunting much
Ahh....this is great!

I don't put trail cameras where I want to hunt. I put mine on my mineral site....and use it only for inventory purposes. Look at it this way....

If you put your trail camera out where you hunt.....that deer doesn't care whether your checking your camera.......hanging a stand.....clearing shooting lanes.....or scouting. ALL he knows is.....you've intruded his house, AGAIN.

So....do they get educated? I'm sure they do. Are the cameras doing it? Hell no. WE ARE.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

Agreed, on all accounts.
Drop, good points as well!

Everyone, IMO, very good points!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you leave them in one location for too long, then yes
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm too lazy to put mine too far from the ATV path So for me, they don't hunt my areas b/c they are nowhere near my stands...

I love my cameras, but they can be a pain in the butt!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM

I would think if you left them there long enough the deer would just get used to them like everything else. They seem to only respond to things that are new or different. I really don't think deer are that smart, just paranoid as all get out.

My take on game cameras though is they way too expensive and I can't afford them.

Paul

Quick Reply: Your take on game cameras?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.