Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your take on game cameras? >

Your take on game cameras?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your take on game cameras?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your take on game cameras?

the KEY imo...is scent control....don't go in early, but go in when the deer will not be in that area...get in and get out quiet and SCENT FREE as possible....if the deer don't know you have been there besides something on a tree making a noise and flashing at them then it should be ok
I agree with this, too. Good point. I check mine during lunchtime.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they can and will spook some animals whether it be from the noise, flash or human odor or a combination of variables. Then again all critters are not created equal. What one deer my associate as dangerous another may not...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM

In my experience mature deer only tolerate cameras. I was getting a dozen pictures a week of two4.5 year old bucksall summer. Late august came around and they lost thier velvet I nevergot them on cameraagain.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

One other thing I hunt a pretty rural area lots of houses and people. SO human scent does not really bother them that much!
Thats how it is for me too
Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I think they may educate deer, but more than likely they just educate the kids of the guy that's selling them. He gets another book at some Ivy League college with every cameral purchased.[8D]
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 AM

To be honest, I am a minority owner in a realatively new business venture that had produced an outstanding new camera that is well worth looking at. It's the SmartScouter (http://smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx) and I think it is very worth your while to check it out. It allows for remote viewing of your cam pics from a personal computer or cell phone. You never have to disturb your hunting area and possibly contaminate it with human scent not to mention the time, effort and cost associated with checking your cameras. I think this camera is the next logical advancement in game scouting technology. It's available directly from SmartScouter.com and will also be in the next Cabelas due out at the end of April as well as the upcoming archery catalog. L@@K!!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mid-Vermont- While your camera looks pretty high tech it does appear to be very expensive not to mention the wireless needs. What wireless networks do you use to transmit the pics? Do you also have a coverage map that shows the areas where this cam will transmit the pictures from? To my knowledge there are still a lot of areas that are using analog or have weak digital coverage throughout much of the land we hunt in this country.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 AM

Hey racewayking,

To answer your question, Smart Scouter currently sends pictures over the Sprint network and its roaming partners such as Verizon and Alltel. With its updated roaming agreements, Sprint has the largest cellular network in the country. There is a coverage map on the SmartScouter.com website. Also, the SmartScouter can be used as a regular digital scouting camera where no coverage is available.If you buy a SmartScouter and a wireless plan and then you find that you do not have coverage, you can return the camera.....but as you probably know, more and more areas of the country currently lacking cellular coverageare getting coverage each and every month.Lastly, the wireless plan does not have to be active all year long. You can choose to de-activate the plan for certain months of the year to save money.....but there are many other cost savings benefits to the technology as well....see the website SmartScouter.com Thanks.............

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh....this is great!

I don't put trail cameras where I want to hunt. I put mine on my mineral site....and use it only for inventory purposes. Look at it this way....

If you put your trail camera out where you hunt.....that deer doesn't care whether your checking your camera.......hanging a stand.....clearing shooting lanes.....or scouting. ALL he knows is.....you've intruded his house, AGAIN.

So....do they get educated? I'm sure they do. Are the cameras doing it? Hell no. WE ARE.
GMMAT ~ So true.. It has to be done selectively.