Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your take on game cameras? >

Your take on game cameras?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your take on game cameras?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your take on game cameras?

If you hang them out of trees I dont think you will do as much damage as far as educating them! Hang'um up high and point them down toward your trail!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

if you leave them in one location for too long, then yes
I have to strongly disagree, 125. If you have a permenantly mounted camera over a plot, feeder or so on, the deer could care less about it being there. As long as you take care of your scent when you pull the memory card or plug into the camera, you shouldnt have any problems, especially with an IR camera(alot less intrusive).

Think about it like this: if there is something infront of the camera that the deer not only want, but instinctivly seek out, like food or minerals, they will come. If you put a camera over it for a few days, its a new and unusual thing to the deer. Once the camera has been there for some time, deer get used to it and deem it a non-threat. Same thing as a ladder stand, feeder, farm equipment..etc....

Deer will tolerate human scent to a certain degree. The deer on my main piece, I can drive right up to and talk to them...They dont care, they see a human in the field, they move down the field a bit, including mature bucks. You walk into the woods, they just walk away from you. So, having a camera set up in an area that deer are used to seeing combines, harrows, discs, trucks, feeders, people...its not going to spook them off.
Not everyone baits Droptine. And the part you said about deer seeing humans, combines and everything else you listed that they just move on down. They do the same with these camera's, they will avoid them by walking around them. I've seen in it countless times this last December in the snow. Tracks were 20' to 25' off the trail where the camera was located. I watched my scent very closely wearing rubber boots and trying not to touch anything in the area. At least thats whats happened with me anyway. I'll continue to use them but I never guessed they would be this touchy with these trail camera's.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

However..if you place a camera on a trail, a deer can just use another trail.
That's why I never understood something.....If you think this is true....then why place your camera onthat trail?

I guess in TRUE farm country, or wilderness, deer are alot less likely to tolerate human intrusion. I still think it boils down to leaving scent and being detected while one checks his/her camera.
Again....why put a camera on that trail, then? I don't get it.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use them before the season for 2-4 weeks on corn only scoutingfor the largest concentration of bucks. Then iput them up for theyear.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my area, since ive used cameras for 5 years now, the deer are pretty used to them. Especially on bait piles or mineral licks.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing I hunt a pretty rural area lots of houses and people. SO human scent does not really bother them that much!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

However..if you place a camera on a trail, a deer can just use another trail.
That's why I never understood something.....If you think this is true....then why place your camera onthat trail?

I guess in TRUE farm country, or wilderness, deer are alot less likely to tolerate human intrusion. I still think it boils down to leaving scent and being detected while one checks his/her camera.
Again....why put a camera on that trail, then? I don't get it.
not all deer react the same...some may never use that trail again..but they will sue the trail 10 yards behind the tree your camera is on...no bid deal, they still will move in that general area (my experience on public land blacktails).....others will use the same trail over and over regardless of a flash or noise...it really depends...

the KEY imo...is scent control....don't go in early, but go in when the deer will not be in that area...get in and get out quiet and SCENT FREE as possible....if the deer don't know you have been there besides something on a tree making a noise and flashing at them then it should be ok

Quick Reply: Your take on game cameras?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.