Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Even if you did...... >

Even if you did......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Even if you did......

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Even if you did......

ORIGINAL: GregH

Even if you were able to hunt someone elses (HNIer) spot, could you really expect the same results? Why or why not!
It depends on how long I would have to "learn" the spot.

If I got in there for 1 week of hunting out of the whole season, thenno.

If I had a post/pre season to scout around and learn the spot, the deer trails, movementand sign, then maybe.

If I lived there and had unlimited access over time, then yes.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe not the same but similiar and over time. There is no way you could know all the ins and outs of the land(crops, water, topography, etc)and deer in short time. You could know enough to have somesuccess but not enough to know all the bedding areas, buck trails/core areas, crop situations, changing patterns from fall through winter, etc. etc. etc. I think this kind of info is crucial especially for more mature deer that are the resident experts on the land.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing that would affect success would be the type of terrain. I've hunted mostly hardwoods and very hilly terrain, so I havean amount of understanding of deer patterns in that situation. If I were to hunt, let's say a prarie, I would be at a disadvantage without any scouting, local knowledge or studying.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 AM

I believe with some basic knowledge of the property and using good scent control and doing some simple research on prevailing winds and such. A newcomer to a piece of land can do almost just as well as the person that hunts that property regularly. Hunting whitetails is not rocket science, I believe it is more about using common sense and knowing how a whitetail uses its senses. We all know about keeping our scent at a minimum and camo and all the things that can increase our odds, but we all have to admit LUCK does play a part in each and every hunt.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope. Everyone is different, while the basics are the same as mentioned I know if I hunted mountains in Idaho I would get my butt kicked the first couple seasons! Same way if I had to hunt where you share properties with 6 or 8 other bowhunters. I know how deer act in brushy draws and valleys surrounded by corn, beans, and alfalfa fields but to think I know exactly what to do anywhere else is a joke. Eventually I will learn but it would take at least two seasons to truely understand the deer in a particular 'different' area I think.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Nope. Everyone is different, while the basics are the same as mentioned I know if I hunted mountains in Idaho I would get my butt kicked the first couple seasons! Same way if I had to hunt where you share properties with 6 or 8 other bowhunters. I know how deer act in brushy draws and valleys surrounded by corn, beans, and alfalfa fields but to think I know exactly what to do anywhere else is a joke. Eventually I will learn but it would take at least two seasons to truely understand the deer in a particular 'different' area I think.
Best post so far.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Look at it like this.....

If I asked you where your best chances of finding a woman in a bikini was.....the beach would probably rank right up there. Where would you go to find one?

Same thing with a P&Y deer. You go where they ARE. That's your best chance of getting one.

In regards to the hunting land.....remember that THAT person had a learning curve, too. Take that into consideration.......and its why I asked for a clarification several posts ago.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Perhaps the incoming hunters has better deer understanding than the original hunter. Maybe the learning curve is shorter or more obvious. Isn't this why we see so many aerial photos during the season to learn what others see.Or do we need to see the aerials for 2 years before we can make reccomendations?

We don't have to understand the dynamics of the entire herd we are presumely hunting for 1 deer (a good buck). Perhaps this isn't achieved in a day..but a season? I'd like my chances.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yes. I think so.

You take two guys hunting similarly (both staying clean....playing the wind......hutning similarly sized parcels).....

What would lead someone to believe that they wouldn't have similar results?

Personally, I wouldn't expect my success to be the same as the persons place I was hunting, at least for the first 2 seasons.

What leads me to believe that the results wouldn't be similar is the fact that I've hunted my spot with a good friend of mine for the last 5 seasons. The results have been far from similar. I have taken 4 P&Ys and one that grosses 125. My friend has taken 1 P&Y, 1 that grosses P&Y, a 115", a shed buck and has been skunked once.

There are many different reasons for this difference. This guy is adecent hunter, descents before each hunt and uses scent lock and pays attention to the wind. I don't use any scent killing products, only clean clothes and boots, pay super attention to the wind and usually smoke from my stand (not recommended). I feel the diferences are that I know deer way more than my friend does, I've been studying them for a very long time. My friend does things that make him feel good about his set up, pruning a lot of limbs, hanging bow ropes from every stand, drawing his bow often to keep loosened up, among other things. Me on the other hand, I prune very little and when I do I place the trimmings stragically like a flower arrangement so they're not noticable to humans and deer alike. I don't leave bow ropes (scent wicks) hanging from my stands, etc. In short, I only do things that the deer won't notice or will tolerate. I put the deer before myself. I give them way more credit that necessary. Better safe than sorry.I take that extra step to do what it takes. The results speak for themselves.

It ain't rocket science, but it can be!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

In all honesty, probabaly not, unless they put me in a good spot. The HNI'r would have much more knowledge about the property, I would have topo map knowleadge, whatever I was told about the property, and whatever info I coulddecipher myself and useat the property. Plus my knowledge is mainly from farm hunting, put me in big woods and I may as well be Goldylox.As far as scent control, being able to stay undetected, putting hours in, and getting kill shots isnt a concern. When should I take my vacation days Greg!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.