Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best State to hunt deer >

Best State to hunt deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best State to hunt deer

Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best State to hunt deer

Wasthis a white-tailed deer only question?

Five native species of deer occupy the United States: caribou, moose, white-tailed deer, mule deer and wapiti. And then, these species are broken up into sub-species..

My choices include:

Caribou: Alaska
Moose: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Maine
Muleys: Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah,Nebraska, Kansas
White-tailed deer: Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Kansas, S. Dakota, Texas
Muleys alongside Whitetails: Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana
Coues deer: Arizona, New Mexico
Columbia Blacktail: Washington, Oregon
Sitka Blacktail: Alaska
Desert Mule deer: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
Wapati: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, California, Washington, Oregon, Utah, NewMexico

What about common imported deer?

Axis deer: Texas, Florida
Fallow deer: Texas
Sika deer: Texas, Maryland
Red deer: Texas, Maine
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: popeandyoungchaser

I'll tell you what Ohio is a HORRIBLE deer state you all need to go to Iowa, Illinois and Kansas!!! I guess i can stay behind and deal with the crappy hunting in Ohio!!!!
Yeah Ill second that! Ohio sucks for deer huntin!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Ohio has no deer, go away, they are all gone. Go to Michigan or Pa for deer. The only deer in ohio are green and cut grass...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Eastern Montana.
I'd have to agree with this sleeper.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

IL. is good but I feel the way the DNR is handling seasons and permits is going to affect it. IA is great and should do nothing but get better in the coming years. Sleeper states would have to include Ohio, and Wisconsin, even KY.

Yeah Kansas, and Nebraska have some great areas for Whitetails as well.

Dan
Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say my home state of Oklahoma, because of the large population of deer with very little hunting pressure. Also, our neighbors to the north Kansas.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually prefer my clubs in north florida better than anywhere else. I always see plenty of bucks and i dont have to feeze by going up north. You guys keep your big bucks, I want to see alot of deer and be warm.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

all the states have their HoneyHoles....the comments about IL are Funny....IL is no better than Ia,OH, NE, MO ect ect...we just have more bowhunters than those other states probably combined wich means more big bucks are seen and taken. thats the bottom line.

also People forget about the Northern half of the state....which is fine with me...i know where some real honey holes are, i just dont have permission to hunt...its probably the best non managed Big buck private(partially public but you gotta be juiced in)area in the state...only locals know about it and its a fairly big area.

oh and by the way....IA doesnt even come close to IL for Bowhunting....
IL has it All...alot of times on one property...IA doesnt have many places like that. Id take Wis, Indiana, OH, Mo over Iowa anyday...not saying IA doesnt have GOod Deer...but i think the others have better Ground to hunt...unless your good at stalking Corn field .the Majority of IA just to flat and Plain for me to like.....
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

ORIGINAL: bddavidson

Hey you guys from illinois what happen to the great big buck state? thought this was the greatest state in the us for big bucks what up?
Yeah, all of the big bucks that were in Illinois were either killed in the early 1990's, or swam the river to seek refuge in Kentucky and Iowa. Sorry to say, but if we ever want to regain our big buck status, we are just going to have to quit hunting, and start managing for those big Illinois cottontails. Yep, don't even bother with Illinois, we're tapped. Nothing left here but a few mangey does and 10,000 out of state hunters trying to kill them.
Amen bro!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

IL for sure, IA has no deer, I killed the very last one back in November.....or maybe you should try WI or Ohio....
[/blockquote]

I saw him do it....It was crazy.....Last deer in IA....
I would have to disagree. Iowa has no bucks...only does....come shoot them. Dumb DNR eliminated the antlerless seasons in the counties around my haunts. There are so many deer the farmers are going to be PISSED.
Honestly, Missouri has got some monster deer, but good luck finding them in that mess.

Quick Reply: Best State to hunt deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.