HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montec and Poor Blood Trails??
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: Germ
By chance could you post what you do? I would love to know
Basically I knock all the machining marks off of them with something on the order of a 600 grit diamond stone, then remove the 600 grit marks with a finer stone down to 1200 diamond grit then keep doing the same all the way down to a smooth, hard white ceramic stone at 2000 grit (and if you're really into it you could go down to an 8000 grit waterstone.) You put less and less pressure on the finshing stone with each stroke and only make one stroke per facet when finishing until you've got the facets polished to a mirror finish. Then I strop with paper (3x5 index card works good). When finished they'll cut hairs in half along my arm without having to touch skin. The stones for doing this are prohibitively expensive so I wouldn't suggest anyone plan on buying Montecs and the stones to do this. I already happened to have the stones (for honing triggers) so it wasn't a big investment to get them sharp, other than time (and it takes upward of 1/2 hour per head sometimes). Most would be better off just buying a head that's already sharp like the Hellrazor and be done with it, or going with replaceable blades.

Here's a good source for hones and sharpening materials.
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=1021&leftnav=true
I also take my sweet time and resharpen the Montecs to the point I can shave with them. Sure it takes time initially but I have found the once shot through a deer I can resharpen them again with less time than originally needed.

They're great flying, sturdy broad heads. I will use them againthis year along with two blade Rages.