Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 problem with seeing pin at prime time >

problem with seeing pin at prime time

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

problem with seeing pin at prime time

Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Spike

Default problem with seeing pin at prime time

hi all i have a problem that i am trying to solve every night i hunt the last 20-30 min of prime time i can see my pins just fine but when i draw back everything goes black really frustrating to have to sneak out when that mature buck is on his feet i am looking to see if a larger peep would work or if i had a sight with a flourecent ring around it i am really wanting to get this solved before this year thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: problem with seeing pin at prime time

I would try a bigger peep. Also try shooting with both eyes open if you dont already. You'll be able to see a little better.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The trick to low light shooting is having the largest peep sight you can find (generally a 1/4" Tru peep or G5) AND a sight aperture that will match the diameter of the peep as you view it at full draw.
You can still expect great accuracy potential with a large peep sight as long as you match it with the proper sized sight housing.

Also if you want to shoot multiple pins you don't want ALL the pins being bright. That's probably the biggest mistake hunters make. They see 5 bright wrapped pins sitting on the store shelf and think "WOW that looks great!"
Who cares if you can see your 40 yard pin as clearly as your 20 yard pin at last light? You won't be using it.
I have always found that decent mid level brigtness with finer pins is what you want for your longer ones.......you want them to wink out when it gets dark. I prefer green for my top pin, yellow for the 2nd and red for the 3rd. They will dim out in that order leaving the top brightest pin by itself when I need it.

You want your top pin (the one you will realistically be using at last light anyway) to be brighter than the rest (but not OVERLY bright) and the real trick is to make sure you center that pin in the middle of your pin guard!!
DO NOT sight your pin sight in with the 20yd (or top pin) toward the top of your sight housing. CENTER IT.

At last light, you will then have a big peep, a big sight aperture to see through, one brighter pin all by itself and it will be in the middle of the sight picture making alignment even easier.

The same rules of sight pins and brightness apply even if you don't want to use a peep sight. There are "No Peep" alternatives that DEFINITELY give you a better field of view than any peep sight can, but thta takes good repeatable form under all sorts of angles and conditions and practice to make sure you trust it at the moment of truth.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

5/16" Meta peeps are available also. A large peep will help with low light shooting.

Dan
Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Spike

thanks guys i shoot a single pin now because of my set up i can hold right where i need to out to 30 yards without holding high i was never a real big fan of several pins and i hunt the big timber in northern wis were most shots are 25 yrds or less wich is another reason i only use single pin so my pin is always centered i was just curious because i seen and heard of guys using bigger peeps as well as guys using round housings with a flourecent green or orange around the back didn' know if that made a diff or not i tried a lited pin 3 years ago and thats was the worst at seeing in the eaerly morning or lat evening
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
N2D

I personally use a 5/16 meta peep in conjuction with a two inch tru glo sight ring. It works very well for me in low light conditons. I agree 100 % with what Matt/Pa says. I still have good accuracy with the large peep shooting with both eyes open, even in near dark conditions. However, I do not shoot over 30 yards. Therefore I do not find it necessary to obstruct my sight window with too many pins.Ifthe lightconditions are that low you can't seehow to shoottoo far anyways.What works for one may not work for the other but it sure works for me.

Ed

Ed
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM

i have the same irratating problame. i swithced this past year to the scropion venom peep sight. my problem has deminished.