Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I "selling out"? >

Am I "selling out"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I "selling out"?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Am I "selling out"?

I've hunted the small parcels near my home for the past 2.5 yrs. I made a decision before last season to discuss whatI could do to improve the herd dynamics (and at the same time improve the hunting) with the state's game agency (NCWRC).

My 2007 season was geared mostly towards management of the herd, here.

Spring forward, now......and I JUST got access to 200 acres that looks great. If I spend the time it's going to take to get accustomed to this land and the new herd.....I'm not going to be able to meet my management goals on the land where I live.

So....if I take the new land and run.....doesn't it seem like I'm selling out the herd where I cut my teeth? Would anyone give this a second thought? I'm not taking this lightly. On one hand I'm excited. On the other.....not so much.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Am I "selling out"?

Understandable! Its kinda one of those things that you'd like to finish what you started in your 1st hunting piece. Very understandable GMMAT.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should hunt for your own reasons. If you think you are selling out that is all that really matters. Whatanyone may think will be based on their experiences and their hunting grounds, not yours. I don't think the "herd" cares one way or another.

For what it's worth, if you spend your time on the new 200 acres and are enjoying yourself and your hunting I would think that is the furthest thing away from selling out.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I would just decide which piece of property has the most potential, and concentrate the majority of my time on that ground.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting IMO should not be looked at as a job.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

There's actually more like 400 acres I could have access to.....but I just don't see the point. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in there (I KNOW I have sole access to the core)....but I'm just asking myself "why", right now. I've got places at home (small parcels) I don't hunt, now.

Truth be told.....I'm asking myself "Why are you doing this"? I guess I'm hoping there are:

1. Bigger bucks on this parcel....OR...the potential to atract and hold such
2. Better buck:doe ratio....and an easier management project
3. Abiltity to plant food plots
4. "Probably" a place where I can set stands and such without fear of theft
5. I suppose....seeing what it's like to find deer (and set up on them)on bigger parcels
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you have a great opportunity. 200 acres would be a lot of land to own, but it's not a huge tract to hunt.

Now you can rotate the home ground and the new ground in such a way as to not over-hunt them. A morning here and evening there.

Maybe the after work hunt at the home grounds..whatever.

I think you'll see your sightings and opportunities increase by hunting the area less. Hopefully the new area is just as good or better and you can let it have some cool-down time as well.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe that one man , hunting legally, can really put a big enough dent in the herd to make a substantial difference .... that being said, I go with what Germ said ....... just have FUN! Hunt the way you want to hunt and do your part in the management part ... but most of all ... have fun ...... I think you lost a little of that last year by trying to be an army of one .... I mean that with all respect, as your intentions were good
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

There's no way I can thin does out at the rate I need to if I'm not there, hunting (home).

There's my dilemma.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 AM

Just hunt setting managment goals is fine but when it becomes the reason your hunting it just turned into a job. get out here and enjoy your time in the woods and the management will happen all on it's own

Quick Reply: Am I "selling out"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.