Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I "selling out"? >

Am I "selling out"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I "selling out"?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Am I "selling out"?

I agree with Bry and Rybo. You have got to realize that the deer will manage with or without you. Mother nature had a way of taking care of these problems, its not always pretty, but its effective! Just get out there, shoot some deer and enjoy it. You don't want to get burnt out on hunting by turning it from a hobby to a chore. I have never been there with hunting but I have been with trout fishing. I have as much if not more of a passion for trout fishing than archery hunting and I crave big trout. I have gotten to the point where I have become so obsessed with catching certain large trout that I forgot to enjoy myself out there. It wasn't the enjoying time I normally have on the stream, it was a "job". I had one large rainbow, 24"-26" that drove me nuts for the better part of a summer. He stayed in the center of a large deep hole right underneath a overhanging branch. He would not eat any live bait and wouldn't touch flies. I spent probablly 5 nights a week for a month fishing for that single trout trying to figure out what would work for me. I had him follow my lures and he snapped my line twice during that month. Eventually I got to the point where I just didn't enjoy it and I realized how much of a waste that time was as I didn't enjoy it. After that point, I decided to just go out and fish, and since then I have probablly landed more than 100 trout that broke the 24" mark!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff here are my thoughts....

Your land you have now (at home) has been great to you. It's where you learned how to hunt. You have a huge abundance of deer, and have been fortunate enough to take 2 mature bucks.

This new land sounds like a great place, and probably holds some great bucks. Only time, and trail cameras will tell whether that is true or not.

It has already been mentioned, but if you "occasionally" hunt your spots near your house, and this new tract of land, your deer sightings will probably rise. Being able to alternate hunting spots will in turn, keep the hunting pressure down. Especially if no one else has access to this new spot.

You can use the new place to really go after a buck and use your spots at home, to take some does. It will be easier for you to hunt the spots closer to home after work..or like you told me when I was there, before work on some days.

You can also use your "home" spots for guys you invite to hunt with you, to help you put a dent in the does.

my $.02
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

I would just decide which piece of property has the most potential, and concentrate the majority of my time on that ground.
Ditto!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to manage the herd send some of those deer up to New York.

Judging by your pictures, you're doing pretty well for yourself. I say hunt them both and find some friends with some extra tags!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could find a young hunter who could work with you to abtain your goals on the small pieces. The young hunter could learn from you, your goals are accomplished. You free up a little time for the new area. win/win
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe you could find a young hunter who could work with you to abtain your goals on the small pieces. The young hunter could learn from you, your goals are accomplished. You free up a little time for the new area. win/win
Magic that's a wonderful idea....and one I've thought of. My problem is....I am the only one the landowner wants on the property (for most of the land I hunt). I do have some small parcels I can take people to....and I have plans to do so.

Not a youngster (Ok...not "old", either)....but I put Brknarrow (Frank) on this BEAUTIFUL doe, last Fall. He'll be back hunting with me this year, some.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how big of an area you currently hunt. By using both spots maybe it can prevent you from possibly over hunting your old spot.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Dominant Buck

You are also correct janesburg. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Bartender

Go for the 200 with the way times are now and access you cant afford not to. Just do your best and what YOU think is right and just have fun pal.

T
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Perhaps you're aquiring a lust for bigger bucks and you think this new land could possibly satisfy this?

Quick Reply: Am I "selling out"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.