Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for "mature buck" advocates >

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Its just a way of raising the bar a little for some of us whom have gotten past the point where just killing a buck is not quite as satisfying as it used to be. For some that skill level will never be achieved,for others its just the first step.
come on you cant say that. some of the meat hunters out there are much better than us "trophy hunters".
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Its just a way of raising the bar a little for some of us whom have gotten past the point where just killing a buck is not quite as satisfying as it used to be. For some that skill level will never be achieved,for others its just the first step.
That is one of the more common arguments I hear, and I gotta say that its the only one that I can say: "I see your point, but likely that day will never come for me." Except from my first to my second, each buck was just as satisfying as the last. And I suppose that if I ever began to loose that satisfaction I would chase it or "raise the bar" I guess, just don't see it. I just don't like the idea of laws telling me that my desire to shoot any buck is less valid than other hunters desires to shoot a mature buck only. I disagree with the "skill level" part, though. Skill level has nothing to do with someone prefering to shoot a certain class of deer. Maybe "for some that time will simply never come..."
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

come on you cant say that. some of the meat hunters out there are much better than us "trophy hunters".
Oh but I can say that.........hell I'm rich, good looking & own my own trophy hunting property to boot.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh but I can say that.........hell I'm rich, good looking & own my own trophy hunting property to boot.
jesus i hope your joking
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM

its all about the challenge, its just fun to me to try and match wits with a big smart mature buck. And when u do get lucky enough to take him, it is a awesome feeling. Who knows that lesser buck 15 yards from my stand on the last day could grow up to be that 170 inch trophey in a few years. I personally dont mind if I go a year without killing a buck..
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Good responses so far. I agree, it should be a personal choice. Out of curiosity, of those of you who feel that way, who would also support antler restriction at a legislative level? I have participated in hunts on private property with QDM goals and standards in place, and I had no problem complying, afterall I was getting the privelage to participate in a hunt. But I support the ability to choose what deer I shoot, or what deer I want shot on my property, and I support extending that right to any landowners, including the public.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

jesus i hope your joking
I was going to tell you Iwas willedit all, but that would be an untruth, I bought it with the money I made selling drugs at school.[]
Did Ibring upmy pretty wife?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

jesus i hope your joking
I was going to tell you Iwas willedit all, but that would be an untruth, I bought it with the money I made selling drugs at school.[]
Did Ibring upmy pretty wife?
[8D]
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Few comments here

1. Typically an antler restriction DOES NOT force people into "trophy" hunting. We have plenty of year & half old bucks that meet our restrictions. So those guys who want to shoot a young small buck still can (and often do)

2. Sometimes is NOT all about the hunter. Many deer herds have skewed sex ratios and restrictions help balance that out.

3. MANY guys have killed plenty of "lesser" bucks, and to kill another has no appeal to them.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Already a thread on a very similar topic, but...to add in what has been said. I don't agree with someone looking down on those who aren't trophy hunters, nor do I agree with those who shoot smaller bucks criticizing those who choose to "trophy" hunt. It's all about personal preference. As for shooting a smaller buck over a nice doe to get the same amount of meat, as a rule that may be true, but all of my does have weighed at least 120lbs...most 1.5yr-2.5 yr olds in my area don't weight out much more than 175 max (granted there are those that weigh much more I'm sure, but the ones we've taken on our property and at our camp didn't). Sure you get more meat, but depending on the time of year, it won't always be the same tasting. A buck shot in full rut (from my experience) tends to be tougher meat, and not as naturally tastey (requires more marinade). But, again personal preference...heck some guys think bear meat tastes good[:'(]

Quick Reply: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.