Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for "mature buck" advocates >

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Those pictures posted of all of the dinks lined up in that roomlook like awall of shame.
A perfect example of a an elitist, arrogant, self absorbed blow hard [:@]. Here's a clue James, not everyone hunts for the same reasons as you do. What gives you the right to put down what anyone elses decides to kill?

That is gotta be the worst post in history. Your true character is sickening.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't read 100% of the post just the first few pagesand the last couple to keep up with where this is going, and maybe this has been said.

I not for state legislative restriction on antler size. Most do nothing but remove the good genetics in the herd. I've seen plenty of ten point year and half olds. And this year I shot at a six point four and half old. As far as earn a buck programs the jury is still out for me, but I still don't like the gov. getting involved. One thought is do you turn someone into a poacher when the first deer they see is a booner.

Now with that said I try to practice QDM and take an average of 8 does a year (primarly bow hunting). It should be your personal goals. But if you do want to have a balance herd (like they are born into) you will take out some does because most guyes are taking bucks and no does. They are just hurting themselves. A balanced herd will allow for maximum nutrition, better rut activity, and larger deer. True QDM is about a balance herd. Thier goals of QDMare to have 1:1 buck doe ratio. The side effects are the rest.

It's still about your choise and any animal you take had better put a smile on your face or why did you take it. I've took younger bucks in the past and who's tosay my finger will not itch in the future. I just hope it doesn't. If you are my neighbor I will try to get you on board with me, but I won't force the issue I'll try to lead by example.

I hope this helps you understand QDM a little better. Most have it misconsturd with Trohpy Management, and if you still have questions please PM me and I try to get you the answers.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
I can tell you this Nodog that not even close to every doe gets bred each fall. The buck/doe ratio is very out of wack through out most of the USA. Your analogy of not taking doe's is messed up, not magicmans way. In reality the more bucks that are around the more doe's will get bred!! I seen more doe's this last fall without fawns then I've ever seen before. Thats not good!! Reason being, too many little bucks were shot in place of these doe's. If there was a low deer population, your analogy would then make a little more sense.
If the buck/doe is off that would mean less deer if the problem is breeding, but as you say there's to many so the little bucks being killed isn't effecting the population. You didn't see doe's with fawns so that's proof, OK. Doe's wont get bred if their dead. Not shooting either would support your theory butwe wern't talking about that. Shoot that doe without a fawn and what will that do? I have no idea how many doe's get bred and I do wonder how you know,but I'd say the chances of one getting bred before a hunter shafts or shoots a little buck are pretty good. "The love the night life"

If Germ wants to post the numbers for Pa. again you can see the possible support for what I said. In 3 years the harvest number for that state dropped from 550,000 to 350,000. They started shooting the does and not the bucks.

Here in ohio we protected the doe's in my zone for years to get it where it is. Bucks were never protected except for the amount.

In the area I live in the doe population is doing just fine and dandy! It wouldn't hurt a thing allowing a few more doe permits during the gun season every now and then, (one deer per hunter usually, some other zones allow more) that right there would help our buck population in Minnesota and close that buck/doe ratio gap some. It seems when the Mn DNR gives out extra permits they go way over board on it, thats when things get screwed up! One thing at a time and maybe it can get fixed! What has worked in your state doesn't mean its going to work in Mn Nodog! Our hunting seasons, hunter#'s, winters, buck/doe ratio's, are all different then yours.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nodog Ohio is a differnt animal than Minn or MI. The reason PA did what they did was for over population. Some parts in Ohio I could have taken 7 deer this year, and six of them being does

You are lucky, you live in a state that is managing the deer. States like MN, MI, and PA have had terrible managemnt IMO(in the past). Like Steve said in MN they go from two many to not enough. We do the same in MI and it's frustrating. All I ask is the DNR manages the deer herd. One thing Ohio does great is manange the "zones" well. MI seems to wanna manage the entire state.

I do not want hunting mature deer to be easy, but right now you havea 1 in 300 chance in Ohio of bagging one. I have 1 in 3000 chance here in MI. If our herd is manage correctly that number will be about 1 in 600, and I will take those odds

BTW I bet you in 2007 you see PA numbers start to go back up You are correct they did drop, but IMO it's a good thing.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I choose to hunt the way I do, you chose your way. If we are both lawful in our pursuits, then there should be no animosity.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Worst post in history? I doubt it. Harsh, I'm sure it was.

When you travel to as many deer camps as I do, see as many dinks shot as I do, and hear as many complaints from people not seeing or shooting big bucks as I do you will see where I am coming from. It just so happens that the vast majority of the ones who complain about not ever seeing, much less shooting a mature buck are the ones that are pulling the trigger on the first spike buck that crosses their path.

But it doesn't end there, because they are also the same people that have their wives purchase a license after they tagged out on the first spike that walked by, just so they can have another opportunity on another spike or fork. Then come to me in January and talk about how bad of a season it was, and how there are not any big bucks around. Get real. Do work.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Bartender

I have heard of a lot of this going on up in Northern, Wi James and does not surprise me one bit.
As for down my way in South Eastern, Wi not as much.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Move to another state just so you can trophy hunt? Now that ladies and gentlemen is truly having no life outside of hunting. That group of people would be so small. I'd give up hunting tomorrow for the betterment of my family. No way would I make a life decision based on Trophy hunting. That really is a narrow, selfish way to run your life. That wouldn't be admirable... it would be pitiful.
Greg:

I won't speak for David....but the question could be asked (I think I understand his POV).....

Are the people who CAN do what is described above in pursuit of trophy whitetails able to do so because they're single and have fewer ties.......OR......are they singleand have fewer ties BECAUSE they do this.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Nodog Ohio is a differnt animal than Minn or MI. The reason PA did what they did was for over population. Some parts in Ohio I could have taken 7 deer this year, and six of them being does

You are lucky, you live in a state that is managing the deer. States like MN, MI, and PA have had terrible managemnt IMO(in the past). Like Steve said in MN they go from two many to not enough. We do the same in MI and it's frustrating. All I ask is the DNR manages the deer herd. One thing Ohio does great is manange the "zones" well. MI seems to wanna manage the entire state.

I do not want hunting mature deer to be easy, but right now you havea 1 in 300 chance in Ohio of bagging one. I have 1 in 3000 chance here in MI. If our herd is manage correctly that number will be about 1 in 600, and I will take those odds

BTW I bet you in 2007 you see PA numbers start to go back up You are correct they did drop, but IMO it's a good thing.
It will be interesting to follow and the governing body of Ohio is no different than the other states listed, it just hasn't caught up yet, it will.Ohio did increase the antlerless permits this year beacuse it wanted to quickly reduce the herd size, a mistake imo. We don't have a large herd as it is.

The other states also have something we don't, a herd of over 750,000. Once it gets to that size mistakes can be made without the long term recovery problem. States that were below that figure like Va discovered that after they met that number.

I am not against shooting doe's, I am against always shooting a doe over a small buck when the herd is small. I also don't see a population problem, just more opportunities for hunters to fill there tags.

The math is played out often here in our small wood lots of N.W. Ohio. If you have 2 mature doe's and one buck in a season you'll have 7 deer, 4 doe's and 3 bucks. Shoot the mature doe's and you'll have the 2 doe/fawns produce only 2 deer and if they are bucks only 2 doe's remain. Always shot the doe's over the small buck people will end the cycle of deer in the area. You'll have some big buck hunting for a few years and that is what you maybe seeing in Pa.

I've read a few post where the huntersin Pa.have complained of not seeing deer. The big buck people say step it up or step a side. The same could be said for those that complain of the odds of shooting a mature buck. They're taken every year by some body, step it up or step a side.As for myself I beleive deer are given to me by the Good Lord, I try to be thankful.

Hope everyone gets what there after.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Worst post in history? I doubt it. Harsh, I'm sure it was.

When you travel to as many deer camps as I do, see as many dinks shot as I do, and hear as many complaints from people not seeing or shooting big bucks as I do you will see where I am coming from. It just so happens that the vast majority of the ones who complain about not ever seeing, much less shooting a mature buck are the ones that are pulling the trigger on the first spike buck that crosses their path.

But it doesn't end there, because they are also the same people that have their wives purchase a license after they tagged out on the first spike that walked by, just so they can have another opportunity on another spike or fork. Then come to me in January and talk about how bad of a season it was, and how there are not any big bucks around. Get real. Do work.
You are the cockiest "hunter" I have ever seen ........ I don't know ANYBODY that complains about not seeing big bucks, yet they will shoot smaller ones .... all the guys I know just accept it is what it is......I will second the "worst post in history" comment, because you really meant it ... it still blows me away that you REALLY meant it! That quote just may come back to bite you one day. son.

Quick Reply: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.