HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question for "mature buck" advocates (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/235799-question-mature-buck-advocates.html)

mnbirddog 03-04-2008 04:25 PM

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Can someone please explain why it is that a lot of guys that will only shoot what they consider mature bucks feel that their demands outweigh those of people who don't care about the size of the antlers. I just want to shoot a couple deer a year (with hopefully one a buck). How big it is is not generally a factor (if I have two in front of me and can shoot either, I would try to shoot the bigger one). I would rather shoot a buck every year than a bigger one every couple years. Sure it would be nice to shoot a big one every year, but that doesn't happen to very many people. After reading the "what did you learn" post, it seems that there are several people who didn't get a chance at a "shooter" or big enough buck, and so didn't take one. And some people don't get a chance at any buck (though likely much of that is time spent in the stand). Wouldn't you have prefered to shoot one of the "lesser" bucks, than nothing?? Help me understand... It really doesn't make any sense to me, especially with a bow.

magicman54494 03-04-2008 04:43 PM

RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

Can someone please explain why it is that a lot of guys that will only shoot what they consider mature bucks feel that their demands outweigh those of people who don't care about the size of the antlers.
I trophy hunt. I don't make anyone else trophy hunt. I want you to hunt for any size deer you want. Just remember, everyone that hunts dreams of shooting a big one, including you. How many deer that get shot when they are young grow up to be trophies? BTW I don't recall anyone here looking down on anyone for shooting a smaller racked buck. If someone has, they are in the wrong.

early in 03-04-2008 04:46 PM

Wouldn't you have prefered to shoot one of the "lesser" bucks, than nothing?? Help me understand... It really doesn't make any sense to me, especially with a bow.
I would much rather shoot a doe than a "lesser" buck. That takes care of my venison needs. Then I try for a "good" buck, or it's no buck at all.Give "lesser" bucks a chance tomature. I hope this helps you understand.;)

nodog 03-04-2008 04:54 PM

Look inward.

Why do you care enough to ask in a post about it?

SwampCollie 03-04-2008 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

Wouldn't you have prefered to shoot one of the "lesser" bucks, than nothing?? Help me understand... It really doesn't make any sense to me, especially with a bow.
I would much rather shoot a doe than a "lesser" buck. That takes care of my venison needs. Then I try for a "good" buck, or it's no buck at all. Give "lesser" bucks a chance to mature. I hope this helps you understand.;)

I feel the same way. I could give a crap about shooting a buck at all. I deer hunt because I like to eat vension. Compare a doe steak to a buck steak... and a doe will take the fight in 3 by KO. No contest at all! Thats why I shoot slick heads. If a BIG buck comes by... sure I'll take him... but I let a heck of a lot of small bucks walk this year and never lost any sleep over it. Just a doe that doesn't taste as good with some potential. Nothing more.

KodiakArcher 03-04-2008 04:57 PM

Wouldn't you have prefered to shoot one of the "lesser" bucks, than nothing??
And therin lies the crux of your question... for a lot of us, the answer is no. I'm a trophy hunter. I'm willing to go home empty handed at the end of the season in exchange for the added challenge of pursuing that one deer that I'm after. It's a chess game and if you went into it knowing you were going to win, where would be the challenge?

FLbowhntr 03-04-2008 04:58 PM

Well if its just about killing a deer why not shoot a doe they eat better anyhow and what are you going to do with a small bucks rack other than throw them in the shed to collect dust. I say shoot what makes you happy but have never understood the mindset of shooting small bucks rather than does I mean the doe will always be a doe however old she gets that 1.5 yr old buck who knows in 3 yrs.

Rory/MO 03-04-2008 05:05 PM

i dont mind eating my buck tag, as long as i get a deer down. and when i eat my buck tag that deers a doe

mnbirddog 03-04-2008 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

BTW I don't recall anyone here looking down on anyone for shooting a smaller racked buck. If someone has, they are in the wrong.
Im mostly thinking of all the guys in this state (not on this forum) whining about not seeing enough big bucks. Also, the resulting push that is going on in many states to have antler restrictions. I didn't mean to say that I care what people think of what I want to shoot, just want to understand why some guys think the states should mandate hunters to only target bigger bucks I guess.

mnbirddog 03-04-2008 05:14 PM

I also don't agree that a doe eats any better. I, and most others I suspect, cannot tell the difference side by side (except maybe a yearling gives smaller steaks;)). Plus most 1.5 and virtually all 2.5 y/o bucks yield more meat than any doe. Also, the way I see it; shooting a doe subtracts from the population much more than a buck, and the area I'm in doesn't have an excess of deer anymore thanks to the liberal doe permits given out by the DNR for a few years. Just some of my thoughts thoughts.