Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover Scent Question? >

Cover Scent Question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover Scent Question?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cover Scent Question?

Deer are able to decipher and identify many scents at one time. A cover scent will do nothing to cover a human scent. It will only add another scent for the deer to identify.
I agree with this.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Wildlife Research Center's Scent Killer. The odorless formula only.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think scent killer etc......spray onto whatever you spray them onto, and kinda cover/surround those particles keeping them from being detected by animals, so spraying them on your clothing, when you sweat and that sweat htis your clothing they probably stop some of it, but thats what deodorent from scent killer is for.....along with bodywash, and then you should try your best not to sweat during your hunting. I really think scent killers etc....are designed for once you get out of the truck......that odor you picked up from your car...etc.....the seats, to conceal that, get that off your clothing. Another reason to try your best to get dressed in the field.

cover scent vs. scent killer though, cover scents all ive read are not suppose to be used on the body/clothing, rather around you, but I think youre talking cover scents as in scent killer, just thought I'd point out there's a difference. like cover scent in earth, apple, pine, etc.....
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent eleminator sucks!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

I agree scentcontrol is important..... But I've always hunted while playing the wind & thermals. I think many people put WAY too much effort into trying to be "scent free", andthis is not ever going to happen. What I have always doneis put in the legwork and scout my woods.... Set more than one stand.... Set them with varying winds in mind and hunt accordingly. It just seems to me that some guys now just think they can through on some Scent Lok gear/dry off with a "virgin towel" and they will be good. THE DEER WILL STILL SMELL YOU!!!! Deer were hunted sucessfully before all of the ScentBlocker/ScentLok products. I'm not saying they don't help somewhat but if the deer is upwind from you, it's not going to smell you.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: IA Buck Hunter

I agree scentcontrol is important..... But I've always hunted while playing the wind & thermals. I think many people put WAY too much effort into trying to be "scent free", andthis is not ever going to happen. What I have always doneis put in the legwork and scout my woods.... Set more than one stand.... Set them with varying winds in mind and hunt accordingly. It just seems to me that some guys now just think they can through on some Scent Lok gear/dry off with a "virgin towel" and they will be good. THE DEER WILL STILL SMELL YOU!!!! Deer were hunted sucessfully before all of the ScentBlocker/ScentLok products. I'm not saying they don't help somewhat but if the deer is upwind from you, it's not going to smell you.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

I like to use deer dander spray.I also use a earth scent spray I use.I have never seen a deer spook since I have been using it.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent control has not been that important for me. I tend to hunt with the wind in my face. Typically, I would notjump into a post like this, but I ran into a trick in Illinois I want to share. The boyz up there gather oak leaves and forest debris each morning before heading to their stands. A pile is made and then that pile is lite on fire. They all stand around the fire and let smoke fill their clothing. It seems to work...I had deer bedding around me 360 degrees. The wind had to be coming from some direction. The deer showed no sign of my presence.

So, for what it's worth, it's cheap.....Good luck and happy hunting.

Quick Reply: Cover Scent Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.