Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand Names ?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Stand Names ?

For you guys that have permanent stands/locations, how do you name them? random names? or just numbered? lettered? Curious to hear some of the more clever/bizarre stand names out there? And the more generic.

personally.....we have the "magic stand" my dads favorite, not mine.

AJ, which is Anderson Jr.,

then some generic stands, like the North field stand, Ridge stand, north drainage.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand Names ?

One of my fav's is the Aquarium stand. Named because of a broken aquarium that marks where you turn off the path to get to the stand.

Onestand is named for one of departed hunting companions, Joe's Stand, the rest are pretty generic.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

all of my stands have a name...but none are really unique, i just say the old metal ladder stand or the lock on, etc.....
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of ours are generic like the "west food plot stand", the "cliff stand", etc. The only one that isn't we call the "5 deer stand" b/c we have killed 5 good bucks out of it.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM

If I have one, can I call it "Boo Boo Kitty F&*%$"! or would that be wrong?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allmost forgot, there's the Apartment stand. So big you could live in it.

Huntingson - how long has it been the 5 deer stand??
Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
New Sheriff

All of our permanant stands have names, we even name some places without stands.

To name a few....

"The Shack" - Because there used to be an old shack/house there that the mother of the property owner was born in. One of my favorites.
"The Barn" - Because it is only about 75 yds behind the only barn on the place. Close enough to where acorns hit the roof it scares the crap out of ya.
"McDaniel Spring" - The actual name of the spring you have to cross to get to the stand. My favorite.
"L-Shaped Tree" - The prettiest stand on the property. There is a tree that bends into an L shape that is the first thing you see when you arrive.
"The Point" - Where a ridge comes to an end. You can see for miles.
"HLT" - Honey Locust Thicket.
"The Saddle" - Where three ridges meet. It's one of the highest places on my land.

Other areas such as The back corner, Top of bottom field, Big Ravine, and Big Bluff, are recognizable to only us.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leanin tree...for obvious reasons

back nine....my farthest spot through water holes in a place called Rockwood.

the ridge.....obvious again

the onion......atrail off of red onion rd.

wooley swamp......obvious[&:]

ponderosa......a spot on my grandfather's "compound"

God's country close, and far.....Two spots in a cranberry bog that just look so beautiful, you can't help but call it Gods Country.

The Charles Manson....spot behind an old pine hawker's house(creepy looking dude).

Grue face.......another spot behind an old man's house....again, interesting character to say the least.

Finally, there'sfuzzy cats, and that's about it for creative stands. A few others are generic.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

During bear baiting/bear hunting we name all of our baits. Some of our baits have had the same name for 30 years, well established baits! We name our baits by the surroundings of the woods or by something that fits the area good. We've got some weird names out there but its allot of fun naming a new bait.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
New Sheriff

The Charles Manson
I gotta hear about this one...

Quick Reply: Stand Names ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.