Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for gun owners.... >

Question for gun owners....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for gun owners....

Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for gun owners....

Just bought a .40 cal Smith and Wesson today and it shoots real nice. I took it with me hog hunting for back up.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is illegal to carry a sidearm in a archery only hunt in Arizona, hunted there and still do for the last 35 years. You can carry a sidearm there if you are hunting in the General season with a regular tag, not a archery tag. Contact Az Fish & Game on their website. Here in California it is the same way.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can pop off 6 rounds from my .44revolver pretty quick and pretty accuratly. all depends on how much you shoot.
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Revolver ?

Hm, not a fan of revolvers. I think for multiple shotsor engaging multiple targets at a quick rate a semi-auto is better and more controlable. Plus alot more concealable.

Also, think about magazine capacity. A semi-auto of the .40cal flavor is going to hold alot more rounds than a revolver. No doubt about it, a revolver cartridge will pack more punch for an aimed, calm shot.

In a defense situation, though, you want to throw as many effective rounds at your target as quickly as possible. So, I would still take the semi-auto.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, to each their own, but I won't own anotherauto-loader. When it comes to handguns, I'm a revolver guy and think your choice of .357 is perfectforyour needs.I won't own another Rossi handgun either, but Taurus ain't bad. I just like American made revolvers better. You should be able to find a good used Smith Mod 19 w/4" barrel relatively close in price to a Taurus. Add Pachmyr grips and a couple of speed loaders. Depends on your manual dexterity and how much you practice, naturally,but many folks can reload a revolver with speedloaders faster than others can switch magazines in an auto.

If you can find a Ruger Security Six, that'd also be a good'n,and maybe at a better price than a Smith. It's a much stronger gun than theMod 19 (all Ruger revolvers are somewhat over-built), but beefier and a bitheavier too. They haven't been made in awhile though, so finding accessories for them might be a challenge.

I really like the good ol' Ruger Blackhawk too. It's a single action, so itwouldn't be my #1 choice of weapon for getting into a firefight but it's a darn sight better than throwing rocks. They aregood, solidand dependable guns andthe onesI've had have been very accurate.If you're lucky, you can find one with an extra cylinder chambered in 9mm so you can plink and practice with cheaper ammo.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

If you want a good personal sidearm good for criminals and snakes and the like I'd go with the new Taurus Judge that shoots both .45 Long Colt, and .410 shotshells
Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Handguns are like women....everyone likes a different flavor and everyone is convinced thier flavor is the best....

That being said, I used to carry a gun for a living for many years, I have owned over 50 of them I would guess. I have extensive experience with handguns and I carry one when I bowhunt.

I carry a .45 kimber....but....a .40 Khar just might be the perfect "concealble" handgun. Very good natural point, .40 is good for power and its very slim for easy concealability. For "beginners" it has a ejector that you can see or feel if a round is chambered which is nice.
There are lots of nice guns..But, I personally think revolvers are such old technology, its like driving a model t ford when you can drive a new F150.

BTW this is the quote of this thread
The most important thing is to have a pistol that you are confident you can hit your target with.

The second most important thing is to have a caliber that begins with a four
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 AM

I would carry a .40 cal something...it has about the same energy as a .45, action is a little quicker in an auto. Although I would not want to get hit with one a.380 for me is just two small for human or animal...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Steelhead31

Thanks guys. I just got back from the gun show, and have definitely decided on a .357. Inaturally wanted apopular name, butit looks as ifbrands like Rossi and Taurus are more in my price range. Are these less expensivemodels any good, or should I pony up and get a "name" brand?
Good choice, Steel .... the Taurus is a great gun, especially for what you want it for .... I'm like you though .... I like to own the Big Name guns ... but practically speaking, the Taurus is a great choice