Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle? >

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

absolutely they are an obstacle .... that's why i shoot right for the center of the kill area ....
Where would this be, PT?

EVERYTHING you want your arrow to pass through is inside that cage. How do you avoid them?
you don't ..... but any deflection will be minimized because of all the lung the the North, South, East, and West of your shot
Old 02-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Whitetail ribs are not an obstackle to any well tuned bow and arrow combination. They're no problem to a recurve or long bow either with the right broadhead. It's a plus if you can slipbetween them simply because it makes less of a smack which I think sends the deer a little faster and further. If you are lucky enough to slip between them going in and out the deer just hear a noise and usually only take a couple hops before stopping to see what the racket was...... and then they fall over. Bust a rib and they always seem to run as far as they can before they smack into a tree or something and fall. But if you're in the ribs and out the ribs they aren't going far 99 out of a 100 times.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM

I think any hard place is an obstacle but with the equipment we got today i dont think we will have a problem with the ribs or sholder blades.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim
If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
SO TRUE! I wish everybodywould follow that one. I'm a decent shot with a bow.I'm holding my own in our indoor league. And I can hit the vitals of a 3d target out to 50 yards consistently. But I have very little confidence shooting at a whitetail further than 30 yards. Too many variables that I can't control at that range. My recovery rate is 100% on animals shot at less than 20 yards. I love my chances at that range.

And no, I don't believe ribs are an obstacle - as you are pulling more than 35 lbs or so and avoiding strong quartering shots.

Have you ever seen a well placed shot bounce off a rib and fail to penetrate the chest cavity? I haven't. Ribs don't scare me at all.