Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle? >

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

ORIGINAL: bawanajim
If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
Great piece of advice!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I would almost bet that 80% of the time the arrow would slide around a rib.The chance of hitting a ribdead on at any range would be minimal.I also agree on the 25yd range.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

If a rib is an obstacle up your KE and get some sharper heads.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like hitting rib because then my arrow doesnt stick as far in the ground on the other side!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have the spinal column with ribs intact (long story) from the buck I shot this past fall. I just see the ribs (and this was a 200# deer on the hoof) as being NO OBSTACLE to today's equipment.....(if properly tuned).

All this talk about bone contact and Mechnicals, etc... ......I just don't know what to make of it. Why do we seem to discuss this so much? What bone are we talking about? And....if it's THE shoulder bone or the spine.....there's not a BH out there that going to go through there.

So...I'll ask one of my favorite questions.....What have we learned?
Actually Jeff what people are saying is that there going through the shoulder blade, not the shoulder knuckle. There isn't a BH that can penetrate that, heck I've seen slugs mush up when they've hit the knuckle. As for the ribs 95% of the time my 3 blade snuffers blow through them on both sides and into the dirt with shooting my recurve. I'm shooting in that 210 fps range, that tells you allot about the head I shoot, plus I keep my heads extremely sharp
I agree that when most people say that they blew through the shoulder they are talking shoulder blade and this also is an area that most BH's with the right KE can blow through.

My problem with the whole "shoulder area" and people claiming either I blew through it or I got no penetration is there is alotof variables that go into the result.

1. When dealing with the "shoulder area" a 1/2" in a different direction can result in a passthrough or no penetration.

2.Was the deer moving when you shot.

3.Did the deer move when you shot before the arrow got to it.

4. Is the bow tuned-did you have good arrow flight.

#1 is the most compelling. As we all know, or will know, if we all bow hunt long enough, there is a lot of unexplained things that canhappen. I personaly have, through my 26 years of bowhunting, shot 3 deer in the "shoulder area". First one with a Muzzy with a Martin Fury that shot 299fps. I got about 2" of penetration and arrow fell out of the deer after about 10 yards. Second one was with a Rage 2-blade with a Mathews Switchback shooting around 260fps. Again about 2" of penetration and arrow fell out again after about 10 yards. Third one again was with a Rage 2-blade with a Switchback. This time blew right through "shoulder area" and deer went about 80 yards with great blood trail.

Now each shot looked to be in the same spot but I only gotone to penetrate. Why?

Because each shot in the "shoulder area" is going to give you different results because of the anatomy of a deer in that area. There are a lot of variables in the "shoulder area".

My pointis if people are saying that they either blew through the "shoulder" or got no penetration remember thereare a lot of sceneriosthat go intoit, toget those results.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have saw the Deer that people have claimed to have blown through both shoulders, and I guarantee that they hit no shoulder bone at all.

If you go straight up the leg to the body, the leg bone thenangles to the front of the body. The Shoulder blade then angles back and up, leaving a hole as far as bone is concerned directly under and between the 2. Great place to put a shot actually.

I've shot 90 pound bows with heavy arrows and if you hit the thick part of the shoulder you are not going through it

Dan
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I have saw the Deer that people have claimed to have blown through both shoulders, and I guarantee that they hit no shoulder bone at all.

If you go straight up the leg to the body, the leg bone thenangles to the front of the body. The Shoulder blade then angles back and up, leaving a hole as far as bone is concerned directly under and between the 2. Great place to put a shot actually.

I've shot 90 pound bows with heavy arrows and if you hit the thick part of the shoulder you are not going through it

Dan
I agree 100%!

Every shot in the "shoulder area" does not mean it went through any bone in the shoulder.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
That is very true, many people need to become more familar with a deer's anatomy. An inch one way or the other can mean a lot in a generic shoulder hit.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I love so many of your posts due to the fact that they ask questions I have had in the past and either never asked, or when asked, I couldn't get an answer. I believe them to be an obstacle in that I have seen double lung shots turn into single lung/liver hits ......absolutely they are an obstacle .... that's why i shoot right for the center of the kill area ....
Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

absolutely they are an obstacle .... that's why i shoot right for the center of the kill area ....
Where would this be, PT?

EVERYTHING you want your arrow to pass through is inside that cage. How do you avoid them?

Quick Reply: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.