Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SE minnesota hunting >

SE minnesota hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SE minnesota hunting

Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Default SE minnesota hunting

I was wondering how the public deerhunting is in southeast minnesota. Im not sure if id gun or bow hunt yet.It looks like there is quite a bit of state forest around houston and winona counties. My dad hunted a lease there a few years ago and saw some nice bucks. So, are there quite a few nice deer down there in the public areas? how much are they pressured? How is the deer population? any info you have will help. thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SE minnesota hunting

Early 80'3 I used to hunt out NorthEast of St Charles,i beleave it was around the Whitewater WMA..Did alot of Trout fishing around there also....
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Winona area has some big bucks. The Pope And Young book will prove me right on that one with all the entries from that county the last few years. This year alone I know of 2 B@C bucks that were shot with a bow from that county. I seen the one when I had my buck scored down in Chatfield, Minnesota, it was a 10 point that scored 175 typical net. This big hog had only 3 1/8 of deductions on it, very symmetrical rack! I would like to hunt down there some year myself, I don't know anything about what they have for state land over there. Get a map out and check it yourself, that will tell you what you need to know.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

id like to hunt up there sometime.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

To tell you the truth, There are big bucks but you have to work for it. I mean go where hunters don't go and some more. If you are going to hunt in areas that is a couple blocks then you are wasting your time in the public areas down there. If you do find a lease or private land then you'll have the best chance at a big buck. Most of the big bucks down there are taken from private land. I hunt most of the areas in white water and Winona Co. areas all the way to houston county and those are some really hard places to hunt. Alot of first timers quit going there because there's tons of pressure andit get hammer like ansome army at warduring the hunting season. You can always take your chances but I know for sure if you find a place someone already found it too and there is no such thing as a secret place down there. Good luck.