Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's all the fuss about??  (forgiveness--accuracy--etc) >

What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Default RE: What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Group 4 (extreme right to left torque)

That must be RAGE heads on those arrows! You blew the head right off the deer!

LOL

Actually I have lots of deer in my yard every day and the bucks smack up my targets every once in awhile.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that I can attest to with your experiment is the choking of the grip. Ihave always have shot with a closed loose handed grip and I don't believe that it has effected my groups in the least.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find those results pretty surprising myself. I would have thought that canting the bow and inducing torque would have made the groups increase in size and have an affect on accuracy. As OHBowhunter said I wonder what the results would be at greater distances.

In general, I don't miss left of right, most of my misses are high or low and are either caused by deer jumping the string combined with some distance misjudgement and/or simply misjudging the distance. All Indian, no bow with my misses.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Atlas, shoot a couple groups from 35-40-45 yds, and then let's talk!!!! At 25 yds, you can do that, ante up the yardage, and things start getting a little hairier. While to some extent I'll agree with you, I've shot groups with Blazers and Duravanes in a mixed batch, and had similar results with both, I don't think shooting something that weighs 50 extra grains is going to fly overly close once you get out a bit in range.

My choice of 25 yards was simply because most deer are shot within this range...........pretty much the whole point I guess. Of course flaws will be magnified at farther ranges but since wehardly ever encounter those ranges when we hunt I didn't see how it applied.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I find those results pretty surprising myself. I would have thought that canting the bow and inducing torque would have made the groups increase in size and have an affect on accuracy. As OHBowhunter said I wonder what the results would be at greater distances.

I think the extreme torque would have the most results at further ranges.........I say that because it is the only "test" I did that I visually saw an effect on arrow flight........they did fishtail.........but again this is extreme torque.......something I can't imagine anyone even coming close to unless done on purpose.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Know that most of my misses are my fault, usually due to peaking and not following through. This will make your misses extreme. Also, the nerves/shakes when aiming at a fkesh and blood target!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

....if you miss by a foot or so from 20-25 yards you did something MAJORLY wrong.........not that your sight bubble was on the line or your grip pressure was slightly off. JMO.

But that is just it, if we didn't pay attention to all the details, tuned bow/arrow/FOC etc. then if our grip pressure is off or the sight bubble is off then we will miss if the rest of our form is good.

Do the same test that you just did but untune your bow or untune your arrow or untune both and then do the same test and see if the results are the same. Having your equipment tuned correctly makes it more forgiving of form errors. If your equipment is not tuned correctly then you cannot get away with bad bubbles/grip/etc. IMO
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good read Atlas, interesting stuff, makes you wonder how much "seriousness" we put into a hunting situation. Target, 3-D i can understand all the "fuss" cuz im trying to learn it myself. But if peaple like Schultzy can get it done with a stick and string, why "fuss" when i comes to hunting situations.

But onthe other side of the fence, you have the equip. the knowledge, the skill, why not apply it to make theBEST shot possible?itlessens the chance of wounded deer, and disapointing shots.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I Know that most of my misses are my fault, usually due to peaking and not following through. This will make your misses extreme.

Agree 100%
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Canting your bow will make you shoot lift are right. I don't thing you see a lot of difference at 25 yard. I always used the canting shooting target, but at longer ranges. Out to 30 yards I don't think wind make that much difference. When I shot target if there was windy I always canted the top limb into the wind and used my level to show me how much. I don't like to aim off the target and the canting work great for me. I'm not going to commit on the other things, I do see you shot one to the right on the #2. I all way use a level on my hunting bows because of the kind of shots I take out of a tree stand and my hunting bows are shorter and it's easier to get into a cant with out knowing it.

Quick Reply: What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.