Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to archery... opinion? >

New to archery... opinion?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to archery... opinion?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to archery... opinion?

welcome, and i would try the rage expandables
Old 02-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Um, wow......
LOL Droptine..
Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to HNI Jenna...sounds like you know your Bow pretty good!

Ok...one question no one has asked yet.....are you planning on shooting/hunting from an elevatedtree stand/climberor from a gound blind?Mechanicals are fine from the open type stands but if you plan on shooting through a mesh window out of a blind you would need to use a fixed broadhead.I have been using the 100 grain Eastman Outfitters mechanical broad heads and now I went to the 100 grain fixed broad heads HellRazors from NAP (New Archery Products) because I'm also hunting from a ground blind and ladder stand or climbing stand.

Whatever broadhead you choose you will need to use the same grain as the field tips you shoot.Good luck in any Archery Matches or Hunting you do in the future...there are some great guys and gals on here that have some very good knowledge and are willing to help others out! GTOHunter
Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

MY advice isto go with a cut on contact for all the insurance you can get with a light setup. Magnus, steelforce, muzzy phantoms, the list goes on.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Jenza

DBerrard
As for my DL... it was purely set up do to measurments...
But I love it at 25.5'' My arms aren't strainging to reach, kisser is in the correct spot... and I seem to shoot great with it (granted I havent gotten to shoot it alot yet ha) I JUST got it yesterday, and shot it when I was there... andI had no problems, and great shots. And trust me... I'm short all over haha, my arms are short.

Alot of you seem to keep saying go with the Muzzys....
Has anyone heard/tried/use the Tritons?
Right on. My assumption, from very limited archery knowledge, seems to be off. Good to know.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have a co worker who is 5"2" and needs a 23" draw length. If your arms aren't particularly long, you might be pulling to much draw length and not know it at this point. Might get someone to help you with the digital camera and post a picture of form at full draw. There is a regular coaching staff on this forum.
Nice try there Roskoe.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board. Hope to share some stories and tips! THere is a great wealth of information here everyone is quite helpful. I suggest you ask alot of questions and learn as much as possible! PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE....Good luck with that new bow!
I truly believe you will be fine with the Rage 2 blade and will not be dissapointed!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jenza

With Dottie Nelson, and the people that work with her. In am confidentthat my DL is pretty much right on for me. They are the ones that showed me the form and everything and got me all set up. I dont have any problems holding, drawing, shooting with how the bow is currently.

Feet paralle with target, and shoulder width apart with front foot slightly farther back then the back foot. Standing straight up, and at draw straight arms, that are level with eachother. Even with my left arm being bent a bit b/c the fact me being a girl, and the elbows inverting rather then being locked straight...I'm able to kept the kisser to the corner of my mouth without strainging to reach or even passing the corner of my mouth. I'm rather comfortable doing, ha the only thing im not so fond of is a loose grip with my left hand... but I'll get used to it =]
Sounds like you have some knowledgable people behind you,stick with their advice untill you learn more and then you might be able to deviate a little to suit your needs a little better.

I don't know what it is with all the shorten the draw length stuff going around,heck,I fell into it and was shooting all the way down to a 26 1/2" draw before a coach got ahold of me and got me doing it the right way,now I am out at a 28" to 28 1/2" draw depending on the bow,venue and equipment I am shooting.

I would also recommend sticking with a cut on contact 2 blade,maybe something with small bleeders.My daughter is using Magnus Stingers on 1716 shafts that weigh in the 380 grain range with 85 gr stingers(2 blade) out of a 24" draw and 30#.She has not shot an animal with them but they do seem to be doing well in targets.

Welcome aboard to the wonderfull addicting world of archery hunting and huntingnet.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Don't worry Jenza, I'm sure everyone here will be lining up to help and give you advice haha...but I prefer a cut on contact heads. They usually have the best penetration and since you are shooting a fairly light set up you will want to get as much penetration as possible. That being said all broadheads will kill just fine assuming you get them in the right spot. So being able to find a head that shoots really consistent and accurate out of your bow is the most important part, sounds like you are already off to a good start by developing a good relationship with your pro shop. Welcome and good luck!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to bowhunting and the site. My daughter shoots a 45# Hoyt Rintec at 24" draw length. She shoots Easton Epic 500s with 85 grain Slick tricks. She blew completly through 3 turkeys this season. She hasn't shot a deer yet, but if she puts it in the right place, I don't think she'll have any trouble with it.