Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many actually pick a spot? >

How many actually pick a spot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

Jeff,

All I'm trying to tell you is that before I trip the release I'm aiming at a SPECIFIC spot on the deer. It really doesn't matter what it is and it could evenbe nothing but a one inch brown spot. The point I'm making is, I don't look at my pin. I put the pin on the spot I want to hit then from that moment on Iconcentrate on that spot......WHATEVER it may be.If the deer moves, obviously so does my spot and I will start the whole process over again, It takes only buta second to find my spot, place the correct pin on it then concentrate on that small spot. The pin is visible but it'sNOT my focal point, the deer is and specifically the exact spot I'm trying to hit.

What I don't do and recommend others don't as well is simply put my pin behind the shoulder and trip the release. Are the vitals there? Sure but I still want to be as accurate as I can. That's all I'm trying to say, I want to pick a spot and aim for it NOT just simply place my pin behind the shoulder and "let her fly".

So which one do you do, try to hit a precise spot, or just float the pin behind the shoulder and shoot?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

This is funny! Some of you guys blow me away with all your analyzing everything. Especially something so simple as picking a spot! Just too funny!

You got that right Steve!!!!!!! OVERanalyzing everything......
Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to make this simple. If you want to be successful you better pick a spot. the more you focus your aim, the more acurate your shot will be. more acurate shots = more deer on the ground. Another important aspect to doing this is it will always help with " buck fever". If you are focusing on a spot you are not focusing on the deer. You must practice this before hunting. It is best to use a 3-d target of what you intend to hunt. Try it and you will become a believer.It will also help with your follow through. Which makes you more accurate.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:02 PM

I obviously aim at the kill zone and barring any rush I try to hone in with my pin atthe smallest spot in that area.Ishoot with thementallity aim small, miss small.That being said I like all others have had some shots I wish I coulddo over.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I would have to assume that a deer with no tuft or discerbale mark would get a free pass form a lot of you guys.
Call me silly and a beginner if you want, but I see the spot.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

I shot a 3D tournament yesterday. I'm looking through 10x42 Leuopold binos to help discern "something" for me to aim at. Sometimes picking that spot takes a while....even with the binos. Sometimes (3D) I have to pick a crease in the foam and just say....."I need to be 3" right and 2" up from there". When that happens....there is no "spot" where I need to be. I just know I need to be there.

It's no different than what I've been saying this whole thread. I know where my arrow needs to go....and I put my pin there.

We're saying the same thing.....pick the place you want your arrow to enter.......carefully. But if you can pick an exact spot on a deer's hide at 20 yards.....you see a helluva lot better than I do.....even with binos.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I must confess.... I am a spot picker [8D]. I dont' know how, why, or what I'm looking for most of the time. But at the moment of truth I'm looking at a hair, tuft, wrinkle, shadow, discolorment, etc...... I narrow it down to a little point on the deer itself. I like the dart analogy. I used to play a lot of darts. When I got good I would aim for a specific hole instead of the area of the number I'm trying to hit. Aim small.... miss small.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

I left work Friday and this thread was around 5 pages which was alot for what I felt was a simple topic, now on Monday am, it's on page 12!!! I can't refrain any longer ...

MY OPINION ONLY: If you are consistently putting double lung or liver/lung (on quartering shots) on your prey and recoveringthe animalwithin a reasoable distance then whatever you are doing works, period. Whether you say you are picking a spot or not is just "rhetoric", as was said 7 or 8 pages ago. What's next? - "Do you put on your right boot first or the left?"

Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

David:

I shot a 3D tournament yesterday. I'm looking through 10x42 Leuopold binos to help discern "something" for me to aim at. Sometimes picking that spot takes a while....even with the binos. Sometimes (3D) I have to pick a crease in the foam and just say....."I need to be 3" right and 2" up from there". When that happens....there is no "spot" where I need to be. I just know I need to be there.

It's no different than what I've been saying this whole thread. I know where my arrow needs to go....and I put my pin there.

We're saying the same thing.....pick the place you want your arrow to enter.......carefully. But if you can pick an exact spot on a deer's hide at 20 yards.....you see a helluva lot better than I do.....even with binos.
First off... Binos on a 3D course???? PFfffffffft

Second, being a great shooter and becoming the arrow are not necessarily the same thing.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

David....

I think you and I would agree we do the same thing in about 2 minutes of shooting together.

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.