Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are the record books "tainted" now?? >

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are the record books "tainted" now??

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Think of the leeps and bounds Q.D.M. would make if planted food plots on all that wasted space thats now called golf courses?

In my best "Bones" from Star trek voice.

Dammit Jim, you always have to go there!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me, the record books are all about the animals and not the hunters. So no, I do not feel that they are tainted.

No matter what the top animals were killed with or whatever, if the mounts were coming to a show around me you can bet your last dollar I will be there to see them and I would be in awe of the animal. Couldn't care less about the hunter though.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

The records are not tainted. Records are made so that others may break them. It doesn't diminish the success of the past. Be it a a camp record, a State record or an all time record, one can easily gage the previous achievement by the length of time it endured. As that window gets smaller (the length of time a record stands) on can see where Habitat, Genetics..etc contributed. This doesn't diminish a thing!
I agree with this, I don't think that the records are tainted. By looking at how many are entered each year and compared with the number of hunters, a 125" buck is still difficult to get. Sure there are more due to QDM, food plots etc., but they're still not a dime a dozen. A mature buck is simply more difficult to hunt. If they weren't, everybody would have them.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Okay they added some length.
They added a LOT of length. Check Augusta National Circa 1965 v. 2008

So your telling me that todays pros are approaching the greens with the same clubs the Trevino's and Nicklaus's used?
Yes. Look at the field as a whole. The Tigers and Jacks of their respective eras are anomolies.

Are you telling me Square Grooves and better balls have not increased the play-ability of shots. (Drop and Stop).
See....."they've added length". Also....note the green makeups of todays courses v. Jack's era. When Mr. McKenzie designed Augusta.....do you think he ever dreamed they'd get them running 14 on the stimp?

Your saying new equipment is not more forgiving?
See "they've added length". It NEEDS to be more forgiving. Why do you think they added length?

Is hitting in the rough in a non major as much of a penalty as those days?
In Jack's era.....he didn't have to deal witht he roughs we have, today. Check into how many open type courses were irrigating their roughs in Jack's era. the course setups have kept up with technology.....and they keep adjusting, even today.

So the new equipments benefits have effectively been neutralized by adding some length?
Yes.

WOW I knew you said you didn't play anymore, I just didn't realize you had lost touch with the sport to this magnatude.
A seven iron out of the rough with a square grooved, perimeter weighted iron ....to an undulated bentgrass green.....running 14 on the stimp......is one HELLUVA adjustment to the leaps made in technology. When you look at what the TOUR is doing.....v. what YOU are doing on your muni course that has NOT kept up with technology.....you see that this is true.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

When Barry Bonds was accused of juicing they measured his head to see how muchlarger it is now. Steroids cause your head to grow.[]

Any expanding hat sizes in todays bow hunting world?

To some of you guys that should be a scary thought.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I wonder if they measured his johnson.

I'm betting your head is bigger than it used to be, Jim....but I'm not accusing you of being juiced!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm betting your head is bigger than it used to be, Jim....but I'm not accusing you of being juiced!
Gee Jeff why would you say that?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh Jeff I disagree with so many of your points..But I doubt anyone wants to hear it.

And Jim, Steroids do not make your head larger. HGH (Growth Hormone) does.

As for"Johnson" size..a quick explanation for all to learn from.

Once and for all: Steroids have 0 effect on a mans unit size. They shrink your "lemons" Temporarily.
If you are getting an excess amount of Lemon juice injected. Your body doesn't have to produce lemonaid.
It realizes this and shuts down production. Once you come-off the supplementary injections. Your body will gradually begin lemonaid production again.

Or so I've read..[&:]
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Golf and deer hunting.....well...you guys make me feel better that I do not golf.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I pay attention to the records pretty closely. I don't think this "era" is tainted. Regardless of whether or not the deer has good nutrition and is allowed to live past 5.5 years of age, the hunter still has to hunt him. All the nutrition in the world isn't going to put that deer on the wall.

However, the growing number of rack factories, meaning the farms where they raise and genetically enhance deer for the sole purpose of selling them to ranches to increase the genetics of a herd, or, worse yet, for someone to pay huge dollars to come in and hunt is a real concern.
This is certainly an area that has grown very recently, both in number of places growing deer, and the size of the deer being grown. I got a magazine (from ASA I think) that has an ad for a deer farm that has one buck pictured that is 303" at 2 years old. Deer of this magnitude are going to be scrutinized when/if killed, especially any that challenge any current world records. There is so much skepticism and jealousy in the hunting world right now that taking a true new world record will have to be done in pretty much perfect andprove-able (if that's even a word) circumstances. A good friend of mine is a DNR officer, and his best friend in poaching cases is the local taverns. People love to talk about their trophies, and when some time passes, the real story seems to always find its way to the surface.

As far as the records being tainted now, I'm sure there are more 125" bucks that are being killed, but deer over 180" are still special, and over 200" just doesn't happen very often.

Quick Reply: Are the record books "tainted" now??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.