Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Game meat and non hunters >

Game meat and non hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game meat and non hunters

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Game meat and non hunters

To make a long story short, I have a couple of clients that I invited to dinner. They are non hunters, not against it they just dont hunt.

In talking to them about menu options they have expressed a desire to try wild game.
This is where it gets tricky, I am not selfish with the meat that I kill, just the opposite actually but I usually share it with other hunters who understand the meaning and sacrifices that it took to bring that meat to the table.

Do you think that non hunters can understand the deeper meaning of sharing this kind of meal? And what should I feed them?

Choices are:
Butterflied grouse with lemon and garlic butter

A slow smoked pork shoulder with a honey pineapple glaze

Marinated and barbequed elk steak on wild rice

Or just cook them a regular beef burger because they wont know the difference.

Looking for any and all imput.

Thanks
Rogue
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Game meat and non hunters

I see nothing on your list that would have a gamey taste to it...especially since it will be covered up in all the sauces and marinades. Go ahead and serve the good stuff and while presenting it to your guest explain without going into graphic detail about your trip and what it took to harvest (kill) your animal.

"Or just cook them a regular beef burger because they wont know the difference."

But you will know the difference and if it were me that would bother me to pass off a mangy piece of beef for the real thing!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say feed them, other hunters have meat, share with both I say. I understand where you're coming from, but I think the education of non-hunters would be even more viable, healthier meat, etc...can only help us hunters. Less of course you don't want to see them in the woods with you if they come to enjoy the meal too much, haha.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no better way to turn non-hunters into pro-hunters or even hunters than by showing them just how tastey and healthy wild game can be.

I work with a guy who loves venison but never hunted. I'd bring him venison steaks or sausage any time I lost a bet with him on a ball game, etc. He loves the stuff so much that he's actually asked me to teach him how to hunt just so hecan get some venison for himself!

He's got 15 acres with deer all over the place too! He said that if I teach him how to bowhunt, I can hunt at his place whenever I want. Talk about a win-win situation!

I say give the non-hunters all the meat you can stand to part with. It can only lead to good things.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

There is no better way to turn non-hunters into pro-hunters or even hunters than by showing them just how tastey and healthy wild game can be.

I work with a guy who loves venison but never hunted. I'd bring him venison steaks or sausage any time I lost a bet with him on a ball game, etc. He loves the stuff so much that he's actually asked me to teach him how to hunt just so hecan get some venison for himself!

He's got 15 acres with deer all over the place too! He said that if I teach him how to bowhunt, I can hunt at his place whenever I want. Talk about a win-win situation!

I say give the non-hunters all the meat you can stand to part with. It can only lead to good things.
I'd say that's gotta be true!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Anything that helps people see and experience the benefits of hunting is OK in my book. An excellent meal with friends is one of the best examples of that there is IMO.

The only rule I have about any of my game meat is............you can take as much as you want, but you eat what you take. No waste. I find out it got tossed in the trash and I will offer no more.

I served a few friends and family a beautiful elk rack a few weeks ago...........as good as it gets.

That reads funny...........when I say rack I mean like lamb.........not antlers. That wouldn't be as tender I'm guessing.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: englum_06

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I'd say that's gotta be true!
x3
Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome them with open arms and an open mind. I think theyd really like the grouse and elk steak on rice. These are two very delicious meals. Heck have them help you prepare the dinner as well. This will open their minds as well. I wouldnt go into too much detail of the hunting aspect but just kind gently bring it into subject slowly. Dont go into the "I blew its friggin head off" story. This should be an enjoyable time for all of you.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

cant lose with the elk steaks!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Have to agree with everyone's comments... non-hunters aren't necessarily anti-hunters. Serve them a good meal and bring them into the fold.

Quick Reply: Game meat and non hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.