Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's cut the crap......I'm cold! >

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of good advice so far. Have you considered some kind of pac boot that's designed for snow? Many of this type of boot are rated down to zero or below. You didn't mention your choice of socks but I assume you're not using cotton which tends to draw the cold to you.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

I was out yesterday with my bow and it was zero wind chill with less then that on. I lasted 3 hours but saw quite a few deer. Next year I am buying a heater body suit. The are pricey but some guys I know own them and say they are awesome. You keep really warm using these. Scoot
Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Southerners and Cold

lordy, my first time in MS it snowed, though that was years ago. And yes it's cold, and I swear southerners don't wear enough clothes in cold months. Especially for four and more hours sitting on a tree stand in freezing weather. One of the last contraptions I want to be found in during cold weather is a tree stand. Tree stands are great in warm weather when the leaves are on the trees.

But that's your punishment wish.
the first three points; head, feet and hands. Anyone of them cold and you're cold.
Nothing like a parka in frigid weather for sitting for four hours. Some kind of knit hat. A hood from a parka would help the really cold. And I never went near woods in thirty or lower degrees, unless I had insulated rubber bottomed boots. And I went to hunter's mittens, where you can sneak out finger to take a shot. Yes mittens big guy. I'd think of getting some Hothands, hand warmers and insole foot warmers.
If your feet get real cold, a couple of pairs of wool socks would help. Insulated underwear covering top and legs.

And sitting on a tree stand in frigid weather is like sitting on a freeway overpass in the middle of a blizzard. Even a southerner can't be a hotshot there.

And yes air temperature is one thing. After an hour of sitting it can feel ten degrees colder.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Did anybody suggest isometrics?

Lifting up off the seat and holding your weight with your legs should generate quite a bit of heat.

Doing something with your arms might also keep you from being too stiff to draw your bow!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I just made my own heater body suit type of warm suit with modifications that the HBS company does not offer. I tested it in -15F with a -45F windchill. The inside of my suit stayed 50F after 1 hour and 10 minutes. I was toasty warm.